20 Miles on My Treadmill & Pumpkin Smoothie


I heard marathoner Ryan Hall say that he didn't like to think about what his splits will be before he runs a marathon because they seemed impossible to him. That surprised me.

Today I ran 20 miles on the treadmill. This was my second time to do that and unlike the first time, this time I knew I could do it. Experience helps!

Here's how I ran 20 miles on the treadmill:
  1. changed my pace a few times, sometimes faster feels easier 
  2. ran some goal pace miles to build confidence (I ran 9 miles at goal pace)
  3. practiced race fueling; in my head, I ran from water stop to water stop
  4. listened to music 
  5. had a mileage goal and didn't consider quitting 
  6. had a cold drink ready for the finish, like a pumpkin smoothie!
This was my 3rd 20 mile run during this training cycle as I prepare for the Maine Marathon on Oct.2. 1st Try (too hot)1st 20 Miler (treadmill)2nd 20 Miler (warm outside)

Pre-run: cinnamon raisin bagel and 12 oz Gatorade
During run: stops were about every 2 miles: 4 oz Gatorade or 8 oz water and a GU gel (vanilla bean at mile 10 and pineapple Roctane at 18)

Although I plan to take a second gel before the 18 mile point in the marathon (at 16.6), I didn't think I'd need to take it for a 20 miler. However, my stomach didn't feel right so I took it and I felt better. Eating fewer gels is something new for me, but I've been trying it out on my treadmill runs.

Pumpkin Smoothie Recipe

I'm not usually hungry right after a long run, but I can always drink a smoothie. This pumpkin smoothie is just right for a warm fall day.

Blend together:

1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup plain 1.5% yogurt
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1/2 tablespoon wheat germ
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Nutritional facts (corrected): 250 calories, 34 g carbohydrates, 13 g protein, 9 g fiber, 5 g fat. Add half a banana for 13 more carbohydrates.


Comments

  1. I'm with you on eating after a long run - blech! Great job on the 20's....you're going to rock Portland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of treadmill miles! Very impressive! I have only ever done one 20 miler and it was tough. It is true that slower miles on the t'mill soemtimes feel harder. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! I will give it a try - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That smoothie sounds fantastic! I just made one today with frozen blueberries and frozen pineapple, spinach leaves, non-fat Greek yogurt and orange juice. But pumpkin sounds better--maybe because of the fall factor!

    Congrats on the 20. I'd feel so much better about my race on the 17th if I had done more 20s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the smoothie sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job!! And that smoothie sounds great!! I'm going to make one this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pumpkin smoothie sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pumpkin smoothie is making my mouth water and I just stuffed myself. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 20 miles on a treadmill is really something!
    I would not mind that smoothie before a run too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so impressed with 20 on a treadmill. I ran for the last four days on a treadmill (while on vacation) and I was bored and kept hitting the stop button (not sure if this was an accident) Happy to be home and near the river for tomorrow's run! That pumpkin sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, 20 miles on a treadmill never ceases to amaze me. I have a hard time running a few miles on one in the winter. Great job!!

    I'm running 20 today, and the fact that you have run THREE of those for your marathon is motivating me to do this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smoothies are the best! Great job with the long run on a treadmill. I haven't done more than 16 on one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome run! I have the hardest time running on treadmills for so long. I did 10 while training for my half, but at the end of it I didn't want to LOOK at a treadmill. Your smoothie looks fantastic although I've never used wheat germ or flax seeds in anything before!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That is insanely impressive. I about died with my ten. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. ok, you are SO awesome for posting the recipe! it sounds heavenly and i cannot wait to make it!!! thank you so much tina!! and WOW, 20 on the treadmill and second time! i am so impressed!! did you read or watch tv?

    ReplyDelete
  16. No TV or reading, but I listened to music and thought about numbers a lot. I had my note on the treadmill showing how fast I was running (mph to min per mile pace when the treadmill is at 1% conversion list) and dreamed about running at certain paces and figured out (approximately!) what kind of finish times I'd get!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's awesome...I did a couple of 18 miles on the treadmill and all my week night runs are on the treadmill (usually no more than 7 miles) and I can't say there's anything about it I like! Way to go. If you found a way to make it ok that's incredible...good for you. Good luck at your next marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm. That pumpkin smoothie sounds delicious! Thanks for posting this - it will def be on my post race menu this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up