Texas Hill Country Run


My husband and I rented a log cabin at Settlers Crossing Bed & Breakfast about 4 hours away from Houston in Fredericksburg. On the property, there were 7 houses to rent and animals, too: deer, goats, sheep, donkeys and Bob...

Bob Ran a Mile With Me
Besides running, I sat on the porch and read. I didn't get very far in my book, though - I had to keep checking for hummingbirds at the feeder and other animals that might wander by. We happened to be the only renters at the B & B and we loved how quiet it was there.


The log cabin was originally built in 1850 in Missouri.

Looking Down the Stairs


While there, I had time for a 12 mile run. I ran each mile faster than the last plus a cool-down mile. I stopped at the cabin for water and frozen fruit that tasted great and kept me going. It was cooler outside this morning - maybe 65 degrees.


  All of the animals roamed freely. It was fun to keep an eye out for them when I ran on the one mile loop that was crushed gravel and asphalt. 


 The baby donkey let me pet him. That made him one of my favorites!


I saw about a dozen deer very early in the morning. The sheep just stared at me just like this as I ran by.


I didn't carry my camera on my run. All of the pictures were taken by my husband or the day before when we went on a walk.

I liked the small hills there. Here I am coming up the hill to get a drink.


This 12 miler was so much fun with all of the animals, easy hills and cooler weather. I wished I needed to run longer than 12 miles, but it was time to head home anyway. I hope we can go back someday.


While in Fredericksburg, we walked through the very small tourist town and stopped at a bakery for a yummy sweet German pretzel made up of a puff pastry, caramelized brown sugar, pecans, almonds and icing. 

Comments

  1. What a beautiful place to run - love the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting place to run for sure. Frozen fruit mid run sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a fun place for running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the nice things about running is all the things we get to see along the way....

    One of my long run routes includes a couple of goats :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a marvelous place to relax, run, and recharge before the marathon. I think I could just live there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you going to Enchanted Rock while you're there?
    It looks like a really fun B&B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TRC, we've climbed Enchanted Rock before, but we didn't have time. This was just a short trip. I guess you've been there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I miss Texas! Looks like a lovely trip and run!

    I'm not sure where you are "stationed" in TX but do you know of any Tday runs around Livingston/Deer Park/Houston area? I am going to miss mine here when I go visit family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's a link to a post I wrote after running a Thanksgiving race here in Houston where I live: http://gottarunnow.blogspot.com/2009/11/10k-race-report.html. You might like to run that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. {lifeasa}RunningMom, it didn't hit me at first, but you live in Hawaii and miss Texas?! That says something really nice about Texas! I'm glad that you'll get to visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love Fredericksburg!!! Looks like y'all had an amazing time. Sometimes it's nice just to slow down and get away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a fun and memorable weekend! Interesting to stay in such a quaint, old cabin. Neat to see all the roaming animals, too. LOVED the pastry pics - may I have one of each, PLEASE???!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a great time with some wonderful runs and interesting company. But that pastry pic has made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tina! That looks wonderful, but boy it still looks hot down there. I love the hill country. I had one of my best camping trips ever out there after college.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. You run in the coolest places! The cabin is NICE :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up