15 Miler & Apple Crumble for 2

Maine Marathon Start 10/2/11
I ran 15 miles today. At first, it was cool outside and I didn't have any problems, but after almost two hours, it was warmer and the running got harder so I turned on some music and stopped more often at the water fountains. It's great to be adding on the miles in preparation for the marathon.

Mile 13 seemed to go on forever, but when I figured out that I was almost done, I felt a lot better and picked up the pace for a mile. And then came the lovely, slow cool-down mile, and not too soon!

Temperature: 63-70° F
Running Fuel: (pre-run) Gatorade, bagel with honey; (during) 6 shot bloks; (post-run) chocolate milk
Mile Splits: 9:40, 9:31, 9:05, 8:50, 8:28, 8:53, 9:03, 8:50, 8:55, 8:44, 8:56, 8:54, 9:56, 9:19, 9:58; Average Pace: 9:09/mile


Apple Crumble for Two
I bought some extra apples so that I could make Apple Crumble for Two (Cooking Light recipe) and I really like it. Orange juice sweetens the apples. The recipe makes two small bowlfuls and I ate one already. This is so good that I don't know if I'll be able to save the second bowlful for my husband!

Ingredients

For apple mixture:
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups diced, peeled Granny Smith apple 
  • 1 tablespoon raisins 
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice 
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice 
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • For topping:
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar 
  • 1 tablespoon chilled butter
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 375°.
  • Combine 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, apple, raisins, all juice and cinnamon, tossing well. Divide apple mixture evenly between 2 (6-ounce) ramekins coated with cooking spray.
  • In the same bowl that you used to make the apple mixture, combine flour, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle over apples. (If you like topping, you might want to double the topping.)
  • Set on cookie sheet to make transfer easy. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Comments

  1. Nice run, Tina. The recipe looks yummy. I like that the sweetener is OJ :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great run and great looking recipe. I'm a sucker for anything apple/crumb-a-licious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raina, yeah, it makes me wonder where else I could sub in some OJ for sugar.

    Lisa, I like apple everything, too - just plain, in salads, in desserts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apple crumble looks so delicious, I will have to make that, I love apple season!!

    Great run!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so fast! Great job on your 15 miler. I have some apples in the fridge- love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a marathon machine! I am liking the apple crumble and will be trying it soon - maybe today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome!! so you ran 15 miles about a week after the maine marathon, correct? i'm trying to figure out how i can maintain my training after the marathon next sunday... i'll email you for advice (if you don't mind!).
    yummy! i'm adding this apple crumb recipe to my "tina" file!! jk, but seriously, i have at least 6 of your recipes i refer to often!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, nevermind! i forgot you ran 35 miles the week after your maine marathon! i'm reading too many articles on how to maintain training post marathon!! ugh!! and that scale post cracked me UP!! what was your revenge? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up