Zion Day 3

Part of My Running Route in Springdale
Today was a really great day! It started with an 8.5 mile into Zion Nat'l Park on the Parus Trail and behind our B&B up a hill. I saw 10 deer and ran along a river with a view of the mountains. (Later, I saw eight more deer.) It felt colder today and I needed my gloves. In fact, I wore my gloves most of the day.

Crossing Taylor Creek
After warming up with some hot chocolate, we drove to Kolob Canyon in Zion and hiked up Taylor Creek Trail, a 5.1 mile hike round-trip.

Goofin' Off: Danger, Danger!  

Wanted: Dry Feet!
One fun part about this hike is that you cross the creek many times, balancing on rocks. It was fun to see a bit of snow (not pictured) near the trail and a lot of snow on the nearby mountains.

Double Arch Alcove
After two hours, we made it to our destination and had lunch on a fallen tree trunk with a view of the alcove and the arch in the rock. My peanut butter and huckleberry jelly (like raspberry) sandwich on homemade bread from Zion Park Deli was the best!

The Best Lunch View: Double Arch
I did some trail running to warm my numb toes, but what helped most was getting out of the mountain shadow and into the sunshine. 


This evening, we listened to some fiddlers and guitarists playing folk music, Irish and Scottish medleys and Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing while enjoying hot apple cider and chocolate chip cookies. I'm counting my blessings, one of which is a healthy body. I traveled 13.6 miles by foot today!

Shoe Tree near Springdale, Utah
Last of all: something we saw today - a shoe tree. People do funny things!

Comments

  1. so beautiful and now I want hot chocolate...going to make some now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What awesome views you get to see!
    Also- a real treat to hear the music. Come Thou Fount is one of my favorite hymns- and i like folk too.
    Enjoy your trip for me too!! Happy Sunday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so beautiful there - I am enjoying your posts! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh mercy that is just gorgeous! And like Raina, Come Thou Fount is one of my favorites! Looks like y'all are having an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A trail run followed by a hike followed by a picnic lunch = FUN! We ARE incredibly blessed beyond measure! We liked the shoe tree - did you leave a Gotta Run Now souvenir??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, just catching up with your blog and wow! I haven't been to Zion since I was in my early 20s, but it's so beautiful! I'm so happy for you that you get to spend time there. The pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures! Looks like an awesome place to run and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had quite the workout today! I bet the fiddlers were a lot of fun to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so pretty there- love all the hiking you did & that you got o see a fiddle players :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. how very neat to hear that hymn played by fiddles and banjos!!

    the last picture just cracked me up - a shoe tree!!! LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps -that picture of your hubby balancing on the rocks looks like he's balancing the pine trees in his hands (sort of!) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems we have a few things in common - loving the wide open spaces and relaxing to Scottish and Irish folk music. Favourites are 'The Chieftains' and 'Capercaillie'.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt