Thursday, November 24, 2011

Zion National Park

Hidden Canyon Trail in Zion National Park
I'm on a road trip! First stop: Zion National Park in southern Utah, a 25 hour drive from Houston. We're staying in Springdale (just outside the park) at the Novel House B&B where each room is decorated to remind you of an author. Our room reminds us of our trip to Scotland, where Treasure Island author R.L.Stevenson was born, and has a view of the gorgeous mountains.

Beautiful Zion
I ran 5 fun miles early this morning into the park and saw 6 deer during my run and many more later. The elevation makes running a little more difficult, but it was great to run in the cold (about 35 rather than 70 degrees like it has been at home). The early sunlight on the mountains - gorgeous!

Don't Look Down! 
After my run and a berry pancake breakfast, my husband and I hiked the Hidden Canyon trail. After hiking up the mountain with views of Angel's Landing, where we hiked on our last trip to Zion about eight years ago, we entered the Hidden Canyon.

Arch!

Rock Climbing!
I don't know how many times I thought I'd have to turn around on the unmaintained part of the trail. This was one of them. I wouldn't have minded a chain to hold onto here.

Climbing Up Tree Trunks and Rocks
This was another one of about a handful of tough sections. And, of course, what you climb up, you must climb down which was usually more difficult.

We Made It This Far
I tried climbing the rocks here, but just couldn't make it so it was our turn-around point. Finishing the five hour hike with the challenging sections was an adventure and the views were breath taking! 

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place, somewhere I'd like to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's absolutely beautiful - my sort of country - and you really look to be enjoying it. Wish I'd been with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zion is such a beautiful place and it one park we have not visiting - thank you for allowing us to virtually tag along! One aspect looks familiar, however - the arch! It looks like the one in our little park by our house. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH one of my favorite places on earth! For me though it is only a 2 hour drive! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it- so beautiful there! it's at the very top of my list of NP's to visit. Can't believe the snow there already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos!
    I spent several days in Zion back in 2008 and loved it! The park is amazing.
    Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh how I LOVE Utah! I'm a chicken when it comes to the rock climbing. We attempted the Angels Landing hike, but I didn't make it too far past the last resting spot. the fear almost made me sick. beautiful anyway you look at it though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you explore some VERY cool places! Looks like an awesome adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! Looks like my kind of road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an amazing trip and the pictures are fantastic! Obviously you are having a fantastic time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my husband's favorite National Parks to visit! Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS pictures!!! what a beautiful place to be!! it looks like a fun great challenge to climb those rocks!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...