20 Miles & Chicken Pot Pie Recipe



This chicken pot pie is one of my favorite meals to make. It only calls for a top crust, making it a little healthier than one with a bottom crust, too. If you use leftover chicken and vegetables, it comes together quickly.

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 tspn salt
1/4 tspn pepper
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 cup vegetables (corn, peas, celery, carrots)
1 small potato, microwaved, peeled, chopped
cooking spray
1 refrigerated pie shell
  1. Preheat oven to 400°.
  2. Melt butter over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  3. Gradually add chicken broth; cook over medium heat until mixture is thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
  4. Stir in salt and pepper.
  5. Stir in chicken and vegetables.
  6. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9.5" pie pan or 11 x 7 baking dish. 
  7. Cover with pie pastry. Slit top. 
  8. Bake for 30 minutes, but once pie edges have browned (after about 15 minutes of baking), place pie crust protector or a ring of foil on pie crust edges to prevent burning. Place a cookie sheet beneath pie pan to catch gravy spills.


I ran 20 miles today (9:21/mi. ave. pace) with some hills thrown in - because I'm mean! 

I started listening to music right away. Bad move! In the 15th mile, I was reminded of why that was a bad idea - it's something that I use to change things up when I'm tired during a long run.

So, I gave myself a change of scenery and ran in a different section of the park. That helped until I was on the other side of a long hill and I realized how very, very tired I was and that the best way back would be to run up the hill again - in my 17th mile!

When I finished, instead of my usual post-run hot chocolate, I had eggnog. Merry Christmas! Once I was cleaned up, I ate some leftover chicken pot pie.


Comments

  1. I think one of the things I like BEST about you is that you eat REAL food. This is the type of stuff i eat- when I take the time to prepare. I have a CPP recipe, but it involves a shortcut of using cream of chicken soup as a base/thickener. This looks very Yummy Tina.

    Also, I like to wait to turn on music in a long run too. It keeps me looking forward to the turnaround, and gives me a little quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice run and that chicken pot pie looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade chicken pot pie is so good! Great job on the run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm! I'm always tweaking my pot pie recipe, I will have to try this one too.
    I like to listen to pod-cast on long runs, but since my mileage is so low right now I am not listening to anything. I usually start needing something to listen to when I hit the double digit range.
    After 20 loooooong miles whats a little eggnog :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. i make chicken pot pie from leftover baked chicken occasionally. i do it a little differently than this recipe, but this recipe gives me ideas for next time, so thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! thnx for this chix pot pie receipe. one of my boys loves this!

    HEY! I needed to change my URL to cheerfulrunner.blogspot.com. If you check out my blog in the future you will need to change over. someone had hijacked my blog in my blogging absence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, ha, ha - yes you ARE mean!!! Yeah, whatever. :-) Great job on your 20 mile run. I am loving the chicken pot pie recipe/idea. The nice thing is that we can make it gluten free! Why do your baked items ALWAYS look so lovely??? Mine never come out looking as pretty as yours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great 20 miler! You must be getting excited about your race.

    I spent the day on my couch - feels weird to be so lazy, but I'm looking forward to starting my Boston training soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Chicken Pot Pie sounds delicious, gotta try it! As for the egg nog - you gotta splurge a little!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look of that recipe--I'll have to give it a shot myself--CPP is one of my favorites.

    That's a good fast 20 miles! You're going to rock Houston. I can't wait to meet you there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay!!! another recipe from tina!! :) this one looks and sounds so healthy and yummy!

    20 mile run... FUN! soon you'll get to taper. :) glad you're still pain free.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your recipe sounds great! Did you make the crust from scratch? I don't know how so could I use a frozen crust? Good job on your miles I hope to be there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Someday I'd like to learn how to make a good pie crust, but until then it's refrigerated/frozen crusts for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up