Saturday, December 17, 2011

Longest Run: 24 Miles

Hawaii/California Trip in June/July 2011
I completed the longest training run I've ever done today: 24 miles. I ran 23 miles once before and I think that helped me in the later miles at the Kona Marathon.

When I started my run today, I hoped to run at least 16, but I brought enough GU for a longer run (24 miles). At mile 3, I wasn't so sure I'd be running long. At mile 11, I was fairly sure that I'd be able to run long today. Miles 20-21 were fast and hard (but the whole run was great, really!) since it was towards the end of the run, but I knew I only had two of those miles and then - cool-down miles with my Weimaraner! 

Here's the plan in simple terms: run slowly, fast, faster, slow, fast and slow (I added a cool-down). I didn't run quite as fast as I'd like (I'm blaming the wind! Mostly!), but it was fun trying to run different paces throughout the run and it made the run go by quickly. I read about the long run plan at Competitor.com.
A long run that we use here in marathon prep as a fitness booster and a fitness indicator is a long run of 6 miles, to start, that are run very slowly—a minute to a minute and 15 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace. From mile 6 to 12, run 10 to 15 seconds per mile slower than whatever your goal marathon pace is. So it’s going to feel fairly hard, but it’s still in control for you. Then the next 6 miles should be at or perhaps even a hair faster than your goal marathon pace. That takes you from 12 to 18 miles. Then take one mile easy, where you run as slow or more slowly than you did the first 6 miles. And then you run 2 to 3 miles as hard as you can to finish, from miles 19 to 21 or 19 to 22. 
Pre-run: 1 1/2 bagels with jam
During run: Water and Gu at mi. 5(choc. mint), 10(vanilla), 15(vanilla), 19(vanilla).
Post-run: chocolate milk, added peppermint
Average pace: 9:23
Weather: Nice! Cloudy to sunny. 50°+. Shorts today!

Unfortunately, now I have a blister on the bottom of my foot. (It doesn't seem to be from my shoes.) Have a tip for preventing blisters? 

16 comments:

  1. sorry about the blister. hate that. nice info thanks! congrats on your 23!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always great to read about training strategies that work for people. You sound like you're in great shape for a terrific run next month.

    23 miles is my longest to date. It was fraught with crazy hills and the day was crazy windy, so it felt like an ultra!

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting long run plan! Great job on the 24 :)..it's funny how our minds can change between miles 3 and 11.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on your long run! Try a little Body Glide on your toes and soles of the feet before putting your socks and shoes on. Also, make sure you are well hydrated going in to the run and during as a little dehydration can bring on blisters for some people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blister advice! I put on a small amount of Body-glide, but I was unsure about it so next time, I'll try a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a HUGE advocate of longer runs pre-marathon like 23 & 24. Great job. It just really gets me over the hump mentally in those last few miles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a great believer in varying the pace, though anno domini has reduced the actual distances for me nowadays.
    Hope everything works well for you in the run-up to your next marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! You're my inspiration! I'm doing 24 this weekend and will think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you solved the problems with your ankle, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice run!

    Thanks for the pacing info. I would like to try that on my next long run. Oh, and peppermint in my chocolate milk too - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow great run! I've only ever run 20 miles in training and only did that twice! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 24 mile run?! That's great Tina! It sounds like it was a really amazing run for you for the most part. Sorry about the blister!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woot! Houston and Big Sur veteran, so glad I read your blog! I'm running Houston next month (with Terzah) and am rolling right into Big Sur this spring. So excited and terrified!!! Great job on your long!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's too bad about your blister but it sounds like you had a fantastic run except for that. I love the idea of mixing various paces into a long run. I bet you will be super prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on your long run, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 23 miles is awesome! Way to go!!

    Thanks for sharing the long run info. I find that very helpful. Hopefully it helps me on my next long run!!

    Have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I'll post your comment ASAP!