My Long Run Routine

My Last Long Race - a Trail 1/2 Marathon on 2/11/12

Yesterday I ran 18 miles. I tested out my race day routine, making sure that I have a good plan for a long race. I don't know when my next long race will be, I just want to be ready.

I divided the 18 mile run into three parts of 6 miles each and ran easy, a little harder and as fast as I thought I could handle for the last 6 miles. I didn't watch my pace on the Garmin much, though, and ran more by feel. This was partly because of the wind - 18 miles of it! It's kind of funny to be running into the wind when your legs are moving, but your body isn't making much progress down the trail! It felt great when the wind was at my back.

I started the morning with 3/4 cup oats and just topped it with sugar instead of the usual assortment of healthy, yummy toppings - sticking with plain jane today. During my run, I had water every 2 miles, vanilla GU every 4 miles and Gatorade at mile 6. If it were a race, I'd continue with Gatorade in between those gels. It was 57 degrees and windy.

After 4 miles, I took off my overshirt and  I was comfortable in a short sleeved shirt and skirt. I like my North Face Eat My Dust running skirt because it has 3 pockets - I like pockets since I usually carry my key, phone, pepper-spray, a small cloth for my nose (tissues fall apart) and the gels, too.

There's a place on the bottom of my feet that is prone to blisters so besides putting Body-glide on my waist, etc., I also put it on my feet. That, and petroleum jelly underneath my Experia Thorlo socks kept the blisters away.

I felt good the whole way, but I noticed my feet dragging a little later on. However, I was still able to pick up the pace and make it a progression run. My last mile was the fastest at 8:52/mi. pace. Average for 18 miles: 9:27/mile.

After the run, I drank some chocolate milk and stretched. I haven't taken an ice bath in at least a year and haven't noticed any difference so I don't mind skipping that little bit of torture!

The night before, I ate 3 homemade tacos and that day, I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary (didn't increase carbs or water) - not a problem for this long run that lasted about 2 hours and 50 minutes.

How about you? How are your long runs going?

Comments

  1. Great training times!! Smart idea to use a cloth of nose dribbles, that's a really good idea. I've been enjoying my own post run chocolate milk (only 13.1 for me) while catching up on me reading. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! The cloth is a soft wash cloth that I cut into small pieces just the right size for sticking in my pocket when I run.

      Delete
  2. How funny that we ran our last miles of 18 at the same pace. :-)) Rock ON!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing! Coincidental!

      Delete
  3. I always love reading about how methodical you are with everything - very deliberate and organized. Well done! You are a good example. Did you use brown sugar or white sugar on your oatmeal? Glad you are enjoying your North Face skirt but boo-hoo, no pics!!! :-) No long runs for me to comment on right now - maybe in a few months I will be able to compare notes! Always enjoy the ride regardless of the length or pace! Have a wonderful week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're far better organized and have a lot more patience than me Tina. I never eat anything different than usual before a run (or race) and hardly ever carry water or sustenance with me. Maybe we don't get the same warm temperatures here that you do.
    Anyhow, congratulations on making it a progression run - something I haven't done for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go on your run. I love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My longest run so far was 14 miles. I had gu brew in my bottle and a cliff gel in my pocket. I took half the gel about half way through. I found myself craving for pure water about 11 miles into the run. So I think I either need two bottles or to run with water and take more gels with me.
    Breakfast: sesame bagel with almond butter and a banana. No glide necessary so far. I try to be sure I eat carbs the night before and avoid soy or beans if at all possible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More gels and water along with your gels sound like good ideas. I love plain old water sometimes, too. Thanks for taking the time to leave two comments when you thought one didn't come through!

      Delete
    2. So as an update, I tested it today for 16 miles. I had water, 1 GU gel and 1 Cliff Shot. I had a little bit of the GU around 50mns, 1h20 and 1h40, and the Cliff at 2h. And I did fine. I was happy to have just water. I drank some emergen-C once back at the car.

      PS: Glad the wordpress comment did go through. :)

      Delete
  7. Nice going! I love chocolate Silk after long runs!
    My long runs have been great. I've discovered (even though I've been reading it for years) that if I run slowly I feel AMAZING afterwards ... like I only did a 5k or something.

    ❀Barbara❀
    My Running Shortz

    ReplyDelete
  8. WTG! Sounds like a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like reading your routine. The cloth is a good idea, Tina!
    TP always falls apart in my sportsbra. Haha.

    No ice bath in a year? That's great! I have been pretty inconsistent lately. Maybe I don't need them either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, TP falls apart so I had to come up with something else. Now I'm off to your blog to tell you the most interesting thing I've seen/found on a run - a gator! As in - alligator!

      Delete
  10. petroleum jelly!! i'm always going to pack and use that now! body glide doesn't always cut it.

    this past marathon was an experiment too - my own training scheudle, no ice baths (soaked in cold water once), no massages. isn't experimenting fun?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up