Running Long on New Fuel

Run Fueled by Dates and Honey, Etc.
Today's 16 mile run went well. I ran six miles with my dog, took her back home and ran back out to finish up 10 more miles in the gentle rain. When she isn't with me, people ask about her. I think it's great that even though I live in a large city like Houston, it can have a small-town feel to it, where people chat or say hello as I run by. 

At the 11 mile point, I was confused, thinking that I only had two more miles to go and realized that I had five more miles to go. I felt more tired at the thought of it. Another runner flew by me and that reminded me to keep up the pace. All's well that ends well and I ended up running a progression run where you run faster towards the end than you did at the beginning. Average pace: 9:30/mi.

I came across a homemade sports drink recipe and thought I'd try it just for fun today. I mixed together sugar, honey, lime juice, salt and water. I only made a small amount because I was afraid it would taste bad. I was able to drink it, but Gatorade tastes better to me.  Have you tried any new running food lately?

In addition to the new drink, I used honey on the run. That was good. Plus, I had dates, raisins and a salt tab. I ate quite a variety today. I just read How many carbs do you really need? I had 130 carbs, which is good. Plus, I felt great!

Comments

  1. I tried some kind of blackberry gu yesterday and thought I was going to leave it all on the sidewalk after a few minutes. Mental note: don't buy again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing new, but i am thinking i need to tweak things again. however, i want to give it one more race with my old stand bys before i change things up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still thinking about those scrumptious looking cupcakes you have pictured on the previous post! Yum! I may have missed it but when is your next trip/marathon to a new and fun place???!!! :-) A BIG thank you, too, for your care and concern - it means a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HappyTrails, I'm surprised and very happy : ) to see that you feel up to commenting after what must have been a rough day yesterday! You haven't missed anything - last year with all of the fun traveling was extra special. No exciting plans so far!

      Delete
  4. Love to hear great long run stories - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are brave - making your own drink! I would be afraid that I would not like it too :) I have not found a sports drink I like, so I stick to water.

    Why do you think you got confused during your run? Just running out of steam/carbs? :) I have definitely had that happen to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're talking about... I've run out of steam during marathons. This time, I just wasn't paying much attention to my Garmin, though.

      I usually drink water since I run at a park where there are water fountains. Water is great!

      Delete
  6. I am not good at trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so you had 130 grams of carbs for the 16 mile run? i'm calculating i had 100 for the 20 mile run (100 ingested by mile 16.5). hmmm... wonder if i should try something different race day? i feel like the past few long runs have been harder. they have hammer gels at the race but maybe i should eat something in between - like a shot block. just don't want to mess with my tummy though!

    i printed out that article this past spring. haven't made any yet though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started thinking about trying something new just before I ran the marathon in January, but you know what they say about trying something new on race day! The safest change might be to add more of the food that I knew worked, rather than adding new foods, if I had to try something new.

      Delete
  8. Seriously nice run. I havent gone that far in over a year. But when I do I rely on water, chocolate mint Gu and caffeinated shots.

    Barbara
    My Running Shortz

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did you feel running with honey in your system?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Felt fine! No problems that day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not very adventurous and tend to stick to what works. However, in the past 2 years, I've switched from Gu to Gu Rocktane, to Honey Stinger Chews to Hammer Gel (it's easier to carry!). And, I usually drink standard old gatorade, but my hubby persuaded me to try Nuun...it seemed to work well, but I don't care so much for the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a neat idea. I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 9.30 over 16 miles sounds like a good average pace to me - and well done on achieving a faster pace at the finish.
    Nowadays I never run far enough for the need to carry food or drinks (10 miles is about my limit), but when I did I used Mini-Mars Bars and a Nuun drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done Nuun, too, which works fine for me, too, but Mini-Mars bars? Yum! Maybe I should have bought some discounted Valentine's Day candy after all!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up