Bayou City Classic 10K Race Report


The race started in downtown Houston and ran down Memorial Drive and then back into town. The rain didn't bother me too much except that there were a couple of slippery spots, but the wind did. My finish time was 52:02. That's the slowest of the three 10K's I've run, but did I mention the wind?! (In the top photo, I'm left of center in a gray shirt and black shorts. In the next photo, I'm in the center.)

Halfway Through the 10K 
They had results up by the time I made it to the results tent and there was good food handed out including Powerbar Energy Blasts (never had those before, but they look good) and Clif shot bloks (I like those) that I'll use on a long run. I picked up an ice cold smoothie, too, and after running in the cold rain, I gave myself "freeze throat"! I warmed up with cocoa when I got home.

Running a 10K race is a fun way to get some speedwork in! I'm looking forward to another week of running lots of miles starting on Monday. Have a great week!

Comments

  1. 10k is a great distance for a workout, you are so right!
    Sounds like you had a great workout/race with some bad weather. Enjoy the rest day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ice cold smoothie sounds good although I am not sure it was the weather for it. Good job in the race with the wind and the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is your slowest time? That is super speedy! Boo to the wind. It's been really windy here too. It's kind of making me bonkers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I detest harsh winds the most - no fun when you want to go fast. Hey - we made the oatmeal energy bars and they were delicious! We were out of honey so substituted agave - came out just fine. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the bars, too! Here's my post about them, if anyone else is interested: http://gottarunnow.blogspot.com/2012/03/finished-20-miles.html

      Delete
  5. Look like a vicious day!! Your time is my goal for this May!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos, even in the rain!
    I hear you on the wind - it messed with my pacing plan for a 15k last month... 20mph headwinds are no joke!
    But good for you for getting out there anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job in tough conditions! I actually like running in the rain--much better than the heat you'll soon be dealing with, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job even in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great result with strong winds. Congratulations! I don't mind running in the rain, but the wind is rough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are having fun enjoying some of the local races, I hope to be doing more of that this fall! It seems like the rain has been non-stop for 2 weeks. Personally I've had enough of rain soaked runs for a while. I keep telling myself it will make me ready for that next rainy race day! Are you looking at running any particular marathon anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No marathons on the calendar yet. Hope you have the chance to run some fun races this fall.

      Delete
  11. Well done, that was a great time given the conditions. After our race on Saturday they dished out hot jacket potatoes with a variety of fillings followed by cupcakes and Battenburg cake. Delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What with the wind and all,that's an awesome time! Nice going.

    Barbara
    My Running Shortz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great race for you, Tina! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt