Hog's Hunt 25K (Not 50K!) Trail Race Report

Runner on Hog's Hunt Course
Today I started my first 50K trail race, but ended up running 25K instead. I twisted my ankle on a root around mile two. It hurt a little more the farther I ran and after running through the race mid-point, it hurt with every step I took. I hadn't even thought about quitting before I reached the mid-point, but I couldn't imagine running another 15 miles with the pain so I ran back to the mid-point, where my car was parked.

It felt worse after the race so I'm glad I stopped, but my ankle feels much better this afternoon after icing it and putting my legs up. I'm a little disappointed, but I'm fine. You never know what race day holds. Each one is a challenge and days like this make me more grateful for pain-free days.

That's Packet P/U, the Start, Mid-point & Finish Line
A couple of good things: at least I was able to run 25K/15.5 miles (really, I ran 16 miles). That's the longest trail race I've done so far! (I ran a half marathon at this park in April.) There was a 25K along with the 50K race so the race shirt we were given which says 25K & 50K - well, it still applies to me! Plus, I had a lot of fun today, talking to other racers during the run and sometimes running by myself through the woods, too, enjoying the woodsy smells, sights and sounds.
Getting Race Gear Ready 
Fuel During Race: 20 oz. lemon lime Gu Roctane Ultra Endurance drink (not very sweet which is nice if you get tired of sweet drinks while running, like I do) and 2 Powerbar gels in Nathan Fuel Belt.
Weather: warm, low to high 70's, humid, breezy
Race Particulars: Hog's Hunt 50K Trail Race (I didn't see any wild hogs!) Dirt trails & jeep roads through the woods of Huntsville State Park (1 1/4 hour drive from Houston)- two 15.5 mile loops. Course was a little hilly, sandy and very rooty and shady. Started on time. Plenty of water stops on 50K course (8) with Heed, Powerade and snacks. Course marked well. Size small shirt too large. Helpful volunteers. Lots of friendly, encouraging runners!
4/18/12 Update: Time for 16 miles: 2:53. Ave pace: 10:51. 97 runners started/81 finished. My ankle feels fine. I've gotten in two short runs since the race.

Comments

  1. :( Sorry Tina. I hope your ankle continues to improve rapidly. It's interesting how it takes some time after twisting an ankle for it to finally become sore or swollen enough to stop. I've had that happen too a few years ago with a pothole.
    You gave it your best and are all trained up. Will there be another chance in the near future for an ultra?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's another 50K in the same park in November, the Rocky Raccoon Race.

      Delete
    2. Hope you are recovering well!
      November gives lots of time to get in another full cycle. It will be fun to see how you do when you get your chance :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry you didn't get to do te 50k....that must have hurt emotionally :(. I think you did the right thing though. My trail buddy and I are constantly amazed at how often we fall trail running that we joke about wearing helmets! I hope you heal quickly and are off running towards your next challenge soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tina what a bummer! But you were SO smart to do what you had to do, even though disapointing. I just loved how you saw the sunny side of what you did accomplish- longest trail run, the beauty in the trail, & of the shirt still applying to what you ran!! YAY!!! I'm learning a lot through you, the good & even not so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer on twisting your ankle,but great job running 25k! Glad it is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo-hoo for you, Tina! Hope the ankle heals quickly. The neat thing is - you DID do your longest trail race yet - Yay! SO.... is Rocky Raccoon going to appear on your race calendar???!!! :-) Good job and glad to hear you made a good day out of it, had fun, in spite of your ankle set-back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the 25K and for finding all the positives in the day! That's disappointing about your ankle, but hopefully it's healing and you'll live to run another race soon :)

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smart decision, Tina. You'll get the 50K next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your longest run! Too bad you had to cut it short due to injury, but still you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, the jeep roads of Huntsville State Park, memories. I'm SO sorry you got hurt. That stinks to be hurt at all but especially after all your training. Hope you are 100% again very soon - there will be more trails!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man! That sucks about the 50K. I know you will get to do one soon. :)

    I hope the ankle feels/gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer! But you did the right thing, plus this still leaves you with one running goal for 2012, otherwise you would have been already done and it's not even May!!!
    Take care of your ankle, I hope it heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, roots love to jump up and grab me too. I hope you're doing alright!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I'm really sorry you twisted your ankle but it sounds like you made the right decision. It's early in the season and better to be healthy for other days. Glad you can still wear the shirt! Hope you are 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about the ankle, how disappointing that must be. But your attitude is fantastic. You are right, you never know what race day brings. I found that out as well. You train and hope but in the end, you just never know. Hope your ankle improves and you are back to 100% in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww...I'm sorry to hear about the ankle. I'd love to do a race like this and be in nature/on hills, but the threat of injury makes me really nervous. Glad yours wasn't serious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awk! Sorry about the ankle, absolutely no fun! Good to hear you had the option of to do the 25k, and you now have a trail PR - yay! Hope the ankle heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on your longest trail race so far! I hope the ankle is feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up