Friday, April 6, 2012

How I Trained for My First 50K

Backyard Bloom - Happy Easter!
After running the Houston Marathon in January, I increased my miles just in case I was able to work in an upcoming marathon, but instead of running a marathon, I signed up for a local 50K, a distance I've never run before. Instead of focusing much on speed and hills, I focused on more miles. I increased my weekly miles to 61, a new high for me. Since the marathon, I ran six 18+ mile runs (longest run - 24 miles), a 10K and a trail half marathon at the same park where the trail 50K takes place on April 14. I am so excited to run my first 50K race! But first, I taper...

My long run miles on day 1/followed by the next day's run, leading up to the 50K:
6 weeks out: 20/10
5 weeks out: 10K race instead of long runs
4 weeks out: 22/10.5
3 weeks out: 24/10 
2 weeks out: 20/10.5
1 week out: 11.5 - Today. My run was cut short because my knee felt a little off. It's probably nothing, but there was no reason to make it an even 12 if it might make it worse. During the run, I picked up some speed - felt great! I ate Powerbar gel and energy blasts. Refueled with chocolate milk, like I often do after a hard workout. 

50K/50Mile Training Plan - Insert the race date and this gives you a personal training schedule.

20 comments:

  1. Good luck in your ultra! And thanks for the training plan link. I may run a 50K in September (if I get a spot through a lottery), so I've bookmarked it for future use. I'll be interested in seeing your race recap when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!! I can't wait to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, WOW! Thanks for including the link for the training. I've saved it to look at if/when I sign up for the 50 in my area for this Fall. My hope is, after Boston, plan for a mid-October marathon as prep for an early November 50.....

    It all sounds great on paper!!!!

    Good luck and have fun! Can't wait to hear all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool about your upcoming 50k, you've done a great job getting some high miles. Enjoy the well-deserved taper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always like seeing what others' plans look like! Very interesting! I bet you will do very well at the distance. It all looks very sensible to me :)

    Hope your knee is doing better! Smart to cut it short.

    Have a GREAT Easter, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, so you do a long run, and then follow it with a "sorta" long run. did you read about doing it that way? i'd have to retrain my body since i follow my long runs now with a short run. i LOVE that link. thanks for sharing! i can't wait to hear how your first ultra goes! try to enjoy the taper and not go too crazy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that's how the plan was set up, so that's what I did. I see the point - running on tired legs to prepare for the even longer race. I'll keep busy with other things - that'll help!

      Delete
  7. Hi Tina, me again! I was thinking about your upcoming ultra and wondered if you'd heard of Hydropel (a sports ointment)? A friend told us about it and my husband used it on his first ultra, knowing he'd hit some wet spots. He swears by it! No blisters, no issues whatsoever and there was a fair amount of watery area to run through.

    If you expect any water, I'd highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really hope you absolutely LOVE the 50K distance! It's my favorite to race! Just keep up with your nutrition and remind yourself that it's only 5 miles longer than a marathon. What's 5 miles? ;0)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so impressed I'm speechless!

    ❀Barbara❀
    My Running Shortz

    ReplyDelete
  10. an exciting 2012 for you....the new high mileage and the new race distance, and trail running. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's some impressive mileage there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woweee! Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck...I hope your run was a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been fun watching your training progress. Remember, it's only 5 measly miles longer than the marathon (pep talk). You have been so thoughtful and methodical in your training - we are sure you will do awesome! And remember to savor the moment, even the tough ones, and have fun! We'll be looking forward to the full report (hopefully Eric will take a few pictures, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck in the 50K, can't wait to hear all about it! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on the training. Best of luck on the 50K, can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck tomorrow, you'll do great! I hope you will enjoy each and every of those 50 thousand meters!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it family friendly!