Sunday, April 29, 2012

Long Beach Trip

Queen Mary Ship

I just got back from a vacation with my husband to California where we spent most of our time in Long Beach. I ran on the beach in the mornings. My longest run was a 10 mile run. I ran on the bike/pedestrian path and on the sand, too. The weather was wonderful - nice and cool! There was no humidity - so different from home. It was fun to hear the waves and the seagulls and to see the Queen Mary, a light house and marinas along the run.

Long Beach Shore/Running Path

We had fun at the San Diego Safari Park with my mother-in-law (who lives in CA) where we saw a cheetah, lions, giraffes, elephants and more.

I guess we shouldn't have parked there! (Stole that joke from my husband!)

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for running in the heat and humidity here at home. I'll let you know how it goes.

Monday Update: I ran outside today and even though it was humid (about 90%) and 75 (at least 10 degrees warmer than CA), it wasn't too bad. That's because I did hillwork on the treadmill first. I was dripping with sweat even before I stepped outside so, at first, it felt cooler outside than it did inside.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to spend time in Cali! I was there 2 months ago & stayed in long beach, loved running around their shoreline and area- it reminded me of Kemah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful. Beach. Ocean. Wild animals. Good luck with the heat. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a really nice place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss California! I lived in Northern California and it was almost never humid there, just hot and dry. On a very hot day stepping outside was like stepping into a giant oven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how fun!!! love the pics! nothing like running next to the ocean!

    so glad you are running pain free! and nice way to "trick yourself"! haha! maybe you're on to something - a faster way to heat acclimate :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a sucker- usually- but were you joking or is that really your car with the lion on it? ha!

    Try not to melt in the humidity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have made it clearer - I may have turned people away from visiting the park! Rabbits were the only animals roaming freely with people (unless you paid more)! I'll add more info in the caption for the readers who don't read the comments.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting and for keeping it swear-free!