1/2 Marathon (Not a Race)

7 Miles in 60+ min. on TM
Friday- 13.1 miles. 75°, 95% humidity.

Pre-run: raisin toast. During: tropical Hammer gel (first time to try it, rec'd in my race packet from a trail race, good, pineapple-y) and water every 2-3 miles (only 5-10 swallows each time). I drank less than usual because I was experimenting. I had no trouble with cramps or swelling hands even though it was humid and hot and I didn't take extra salt or use a gel with much sodium (25 mg. sodium in gel), but I only ran about 13 miles. (I've added a little extra salt in my daily diet in recent days - in my oatmeal, etc.) The experiment will continue.

I felt good throughout the run. I was careful not to start too fast, knowing that the later miles would be hard in the heat. That worked. On the way home, when I left the crowded Memorial Park path, it was quiet and I noticed that I could hear my sweaty Balega socks squishing in my Asics shoes. I'm not complaining, just describing - at least I get to wear shorts more often than northerners! Ave pace: 9:54, Time: 2:09:41. Maybe on my next long, hot run, I can beat my 9:54 pace.

Earlier this week:
Wednesday- (speed) 7 miles on treadmill. After running some miles faster and easier than I expected to at the beach last week (where it was cool), I decided to push myself harder than usual on the treadmill here at home today. Mile splits - warm-up mile, 9:01, 8:32, 8:32, 8:12, 8:12, 7:59 
Tuesday- (easy) 6 miles. After 5 miles, I could feel the heat and humidity and I was glad to be heading home. 
Monday- (hills) 6 miles with 2 miles of hills on the treadmill (1/4 mi. @ 2, 3, 4, 0, 2, 3, 4, 5% incline). Little hills, but it's a start!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What causes hand swelling? I've had it a few times during runs and wondered why. I hope to find some good combinations of fluids and gels this year too. I started running 2 hrs. earlier after Mondays 8am run which was so sunny I thought I would die ;) It's starting to get hawt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hands might swell because of the amount of water or salt we take in (maybe too little or too much), from what I understand. Wish I had a better explanation!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like that ankle has healed from your ultra :) 95% humidity...whoa!

    I ran in shorts and jacket today - low 50's with steady drizzle. Would've been perfect for Boston, but I'm not bitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low 50's sounds absolutely wonderful! You deserve it after Boston!

      Delete
  4. So glad to see that your ankle is better and that you had a good run despite the humidity. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really thankful my ankle is fine now, too! Hope your body heals soon, too!

      Delete
  5. Oh goodness, Tina! I don't know how you run in 75 degrees and 95% humidity!!! Yikes! We would melt into puddles....
    We had 75 degrees and 7% humidity today. :-) You are one dedicated and tough lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and sometimes I do feel like I'm melting! We had a little breeze today so when I ran 5 miles, even though the weather was about the same, it felt a little better outside. Sometimes wind is good!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

      Delete
  7. nice work. it typically takes me until mid June to acclimate fully to the heat. this is a tough time of year for me & running. (have you tried the DryMax socks? for me, they feel so much better, especially on the shoe sloshing days of summer. I was previously a Balega girl, & I liked them until I tried the D.M. I know you experiment a lot so you probably already tried them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Drymax suggestion! I have a couple of Drymax pairs of socks and wear them sometimes, too. I came across this post, http://bit.ly/wUk2hG, in which an ultrarunner mentions that she wore one pair of DryMax Maximum Protection socks at Badwater and didn't get any blisters!

      Delete
  8. Great week! That 1/2 marathon sounded rough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it felt great to be finished!

      Delete
  9. Great week!
    Humidity is such a killer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We had a break in the humidity here in Houston this morning and it was only 70% instead of way up at 95%. It was great during today's 6 mile run. It wasn't cool, but it was a lot better!

      Delete
    2. So glad to hear that!

      Delete
  10. Heat+Humidity are not fun running conditions. Kuddos to you for pulling it through.
    On the drymax socks, I have some and I really like them. Although I do still get blisters with my trail ones. I wish seams were on the outside. Or else I need to turn the socks inside out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt