Hot 15 Mile Run


It was hot today! I increased the pace every 3 miles by 15 seconds for as long as I could. I did fine until mile 11, when the 75 degree heat and the humidity slowed me down. Let's just say I had a 4 mile cool-down! So, I ran 15 miles in  2 1/2 hours @10:00/mile average pace. It felt great to be able to finish a hot 15 mile run.

I didn't have any heat cramps so I was happy with my 2 Tri-berry GU electrolyte tablets (tastes a little sweeter than Nuun) and 2 Powerbar gels (Vanilla and Raspberry, both are very sweet, I prefer the Raspberry). I brought a water bottle because I needed one in order to use the GU tablets. Usually, my bottle was empty and I just filled it with water and a 1/2 tablet at the water fountains.

For the first time, I used a Nathan base belt with an add-on 8 oz. water bottle/flask that has a great little lid they call a Race Cap that doesn't need to be pushed closed. You can even tip it upside down and it won't leak. I found mine online at Running Warehouse where you can get a 10% discount with the code: GottaRunNow. They don't pay me, but that's a nice deal.

Comments

  1. i deal with heat 4-5 months a year here in the SW desert, yet, I will fully admit - 75 with humidity is far worse than 80-90's of dry less than 10% humidity heat. sounds like you have a good plan to do deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to check out the race cap, sounds great! I can't get used to Powerbar Gels, they seem runnier then GU ones and it wigs me out a little.

    Great job on the run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right- Powerbar gels have a thinner consistency than GU gels. I can eat either one, but one thing I like about the Powerbar gels is that they have a lot of sodium. That may keep the cramps away in the summer heat.

      Delete
  3. Nice run! I battle in the heat. I find it difficult to decide which gels are best. Sometimes I just get the cheapest. Gels are expensive here in South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice run! The race cap sounds perfect. I'll have to look for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool about the discount code :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the raspberry one is very good - have you tried the punch or green apple? very sweet, too, but good! it's always a challenge to run in the heat but it feels sooooo good to accomplish it!! good job tina!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've had punch, but I think I might have tried and liked apple. And thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up