Buffalo Bayou Run & Blueberry Spinach Banana Smoothie

From Shepherd & Memorial Dr., the Path Leads Downtown

Today I ran nine miles, mostly along the Buffalo Bayou near downtown Houston. I was happy to find some hills along the way - hills are hard to find in Houston, but I'm glad that I didn't run on more hills. My legs are tired! For my safety, I tried to stick to the trails that didn't feel secluded and I brought pepper spray, too. I liked running where I don't usually go and finding some grassy hills, too.

Before the run, I lifted weights, something I like to do a few times a week. After my Bayou run, I came home to get Zoe, my Weimaraner, and took her for a short run, too. We were both happy runners today.

I had some Gatorade during the run, but I didn't eat before the run so I was hungry when I finished my run and made a smoothie. To make my smoothie, I put 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 1 cup spinach into the blender. It tasted like blueberries and not like spinach at all. I don't normally use spinach in my fruit smoothies, but I thought I'd try it to get more vegies in my day. I also ate some homemade granola.

Then I worked in the yard. Lots of weeding and flower planting going on lately.

Comments

  1. Sounds like my Saturday minus a few miles :) I really like running along the Buffalo Bayou. The area I usually run always has a neat bird or two to watch along with a few rolling hills it's a pretty place to go. Smoothies are great post run! Hopefully we'll both make it through this summer heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great run, and glad you didn't need to use the pepper spray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the pepper spray for animals? It's very easy - too easy - to find hills around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spray is for bad guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you don't eat before you run?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm experimenting with not eating before I run to train my body to use fat. I wasn't hungry anyway so it was easy to do. Here's a Running Times article that goes into more detail: http://bit.ly/N5LgZ8.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to do some weeding too! ah...summer is on the way here.
    The smoothie looks refreshing. I am out of blueberries and will have to resort to banana and some other fruit for mine. :)
    Looks like a great running spot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it's an easy run I tend to do the same and either not eat or eat very little (like half a banana). I find that my body can handle a lot more than I realize. I also need little fueling to no fueling on shorter runs. It's good to test and see how the body does with different patterns.
    Smoothie looks good. You're making me hungry for some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one of my favorite places to run. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish there were more runners and walkers at Buffalo Bayou Park for safety reasons. I was glad to see at least one drinking water fountain and I might go stand in that big water fountain on Allen Parkway on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That smoothie looks great!

    I've been trying to make it a habit to bring pepper spray.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fortunately, I don't usually need to bring spray because there are so many people around that I feel safe, but there are times/places where I feel better having it.

    There are so many fun ways to make smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've gotten used to not eating before running (in the morn) and not taking gels for any run under 9 miles.

    was the spinach you used in the smoothie cooked or raw?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spinach in a smoothie ... Hmm...something to think about:)

    Barbara
    My Running Shortz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spinach in a smoothie...who knew?! We've been doing green smoothies for a couple months now (either kale or spinach, greek yogurt, orange, banana & apple) and they rock. Took awhile to get used to, but now my day just feels "off" if I don't have my green smoothie. And way to go on the run, Tina!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up