Thursday, May 31, 2012

Garmin Forerunner 610 & 18 Miler

A couple of weeks ago, my husband told me to expect a special delivery in a day or two and I was completely surprised to receive a brand new Garmin Forerunner 610 and a heart rate band. (Now this heart rate calculator might come in handy.)

One of my favorite features about the 610 is that it will scroll to different pages with new information so that I don't have to tap the screen to see new information. I can use it with sweaty fingers. It's smaller than my Garmin 310XT. The battery life is about 8 hours so if I ever do an ultra (you never know!), I'll use my Garmin 310XT.

I ran 18 miles in the heat yesterday and had no cramps, chafing or blisters (used Body-glide and Thorlo Experia socks) and no soreness today (I don't seem to have soreness after most of my long runs now). I ate 4 GU gels and took two salt tabs because it was 75-85° and humid. Pouring cold water on my head and neck cooled me off and I kept the pace easy.

14 comments:

  1. I'm totally a new salt tab kinda girl! I took a couple at the Boston sweat-fest and then 1 at Vermont City this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great run! Nice to have new running toys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That sounds like an AWESOME watch! It would be a huge upgrade from my 305 :) Good hubby!!

    Nice work on the 18 miler in serious warm temps..wooohwee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great run yesterday! The new Garmin sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo, nice watch from the hubby!! Great job on the run, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job! i'm so out of the loop with regards to the newest garmins. i still have a 205!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome!!!! i want to hear all about the watch so please write about it when you feel the need :) it looks SOOOO amazing!! have you written about taking salt tablets? i'd love to know more about it. very curious how it works and when to take one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a salt tab at mile 6 & 12. I don't do the same thing every time. If you click on the label "salt tabs" beneath the post, you can read what I've written about salt tabs on my blog. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. i did a search and found it on your blog :) good stuff. i may give it a shot next week. tomorrow the weather is supposed to be 20 degrees cooler than last saturday! wow!!!

      Delete
    3. Enjoy the cooler weather - what a nice break!

      Delete
  8. I've never taken salt tabs either. I'll check out your posts.
    Congrats on the Garmin you lucky girl:)

    Barbara
    My Running Shortz

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Happy Trails, http://happytrails88.blogspot.com/: Ahhh, what a thoughtful hubby! You're going all fancy-schmancy! :-) Seems like you are liking the Thorlo Experia socks - I like them, too! I rotate between them, Drymax, and Balega Trailbusters. And the Body Glide is a must on the tootsies in the summer! I don't have much trouble with chafing other than when I wear a sleeveless top - I can get a little chafing under my armpit where my arm swings back and forth. It reminds me to stay with short sleeves! :-)
    (Note from Tina: I accidentally deleted this comment after I posted it, thinking that I didn't need to save it since I already posted it, but that took it off of my blog - not what I wanted to do!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that Garmin! Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's a good man!! Awesome!
    Love my Experia socks - the only ones I run in! And where would we be without body glide? Particularly in the summer? I shudder to think!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...