18 Mile Run

Garden of the Gods 

I wasn't really thinking about running 18 miles when I got ready for my run this morning. I wanted to try to run a little and to see how I felt after having a little foot soreness a couple of days ago. No foot troubles today! I skipped the Body-glide (to prevent chafing and blisters) and wore some old Adidas socks I never wear on long runs. Even though I needed to take off my socks to wring all of the water out after running 10 miles, I was surprised to find that I didn't have any blisters or chafing even after about 3 hours of hot and humid running (plus more time to walk and stop for water).

My husband met me and ran with me towards the end. That was great. He was doing a walk, run thing and I just did what he did. When we ran, I felt like I was running a 5K. I was really hoping the walk breaks would come sooner. Still, it was fun to try to keep up. He helped me to raise my average pace.

Pre-run: banana and Gatorade
During run: 3 Gu gels (so sad, I ate my last chocolate mint gel!), Gatorade at mile 16, 2 salt tabs (to prevent cramps in the heat)

When I Finished: Temperature: 82, Heat Index: 86

Have you seen these? Joggobots, a companion robot for runners

Photo Info & Update: Just dreaming about our chilly Colorado Springs, Colorado, hike at the Garden of the Gods last December. I forgot about those blogs with my blog photo in the sidebar when I posted. For those of you who saw the photo before reading the post, I hope no one felt like I had used false advertising to get you to come read my post on a hot run in Texas!

Comments

  1. LOL, I saw that Garden of the Gods pic and thought - HEY, what are you doing in Colorado?? But then logic set in ... not much snow on this 90+ degree day!
    Great job on your run!! I feel your pain, 16 miles for me this morning, 89 at this finish. Just call me the human salt lick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually think of CO as hot, but when we visited Estes Park, CO, one hot summer, there was no air conditioning in the stores we shopped in - hot!

      Delete
  2. I bet, with the heat and humidity you are experiencing, making a snow angel in shorts and a tank top in that pic above sounds pretty refreshing!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I had to go with a cool shower instead!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it funny how sometimes the run that goes most seamlessly is the run where almost no thought or planning is put into it? LOVE those runs :)

    Sounds like a great one, especially w/ your hubby joining in and helping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it was a good run despite the heat and the slow pace.

      Delete
  4. Nice long run! It's been strangely mild here this week so I'm bracing for the heat wave that I'm sure will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been in the Garden of the Gods for the last two days and will race there tomorrow. I was a bit taken aback at the snow in it as I knew I hadn't seen snow. It is so beautiful here. I am going to go read that post of yours again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great to be in such a beautiful place!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great run. I was wondering when I first saw the photo, where the snow came from lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just dreaming of a white Christmas!

      Delete
  7. i don't know about you but the salt on my arms sometimes looks like flurries! great pic to reflect on mentally during these hot days! so, did you find an upcoming race?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not as salty as I used to be, but maybe my sweat is draining it off. I sweat a lot in the humidity. No planned races for 2012 yet, but I'm running like there may be one, just in case one comes up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up