Links: Big Sur, Pinterest, Salt & More

I ran 54 miles last week. This week, I had a recovery week. Here are a few posts that I found while I was "recovering" between eating banana bread and watermelon. 

Book Review: Waterlogged by Tim Noakes at IRunFar: "Drink only to thirst and ultrarunners don't need salt tablets." I knew about the water, but not the salt.

Interview: Nate Jenkins Tips on Eating and Training for a Marathon: "Don't eat anything 4 hours before a marathon." (40 minutes into this interview.) I've been running without eating first unless I'm running long. I might try this for long runs. 


Badwater 135 Mile Race: The next time I think I'm suffering in the heat, I'll look at these photos to see what real suffering looks like.

Bixby Bridge, CA - It's almost like you're at this Big Sur Marathon location on Google Street View. I ran the Big Sur Marathon in 2010. If you can, run it!


I've joined Pinterest. So far, I've collected home decorating and flower bed ideas. Visit me there, too, if that's your cup of tea or Gatorade!


Today I ran 8 humid miles with some puddle-jumping. Mile splits: 10:04, 9:52, 9:44, 9:47, 9:39, 9:40, 9:16, 9:59. Ave: 9:45/mi. It felt pretty good to run "comfortably hard" today. 



Comments

  1. That Noakes perspective is very interesting! I've been hearing a lot about that lately. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! It really made me think about water and salt intake.

      Delete
  2. you had me at "banana bread and watermelon" - these are a few of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Tina! for all the info. i have Big Sur on the mind for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Big Sur would be so fun for you to run!

      Delete
  4. Nice job on the 8 mile run! Now I'm hungry for banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The water and salt sticks surprises me! What was the reason for that? Good job on your run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of confusing, isn't it? I thought the comments were really interesting on that post, too.

      Delete
  6. that's a really interesting article on the salt and water. i've heard about the water and i only drink to thirst. today i was extra thirsty as i didn't drink enough yesterday. and i knew it. but the salt thing... that's interesting. i've only tried the salt tabs once and the next day or two i felt a little swollen. wasn't crazy about that feeling as it's unusual for me. must have been the extra maybe uneeded salt. hmmm. going to read the others. thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like I'm following in your footsteps. This wk I finish with 53 miles, and next wk I'm taking a recovery wk. Thanks for the banana bread recipe. I have some ripe bananas and I LIKE easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to see that your running is going well despite the heat. Smart to use the treadmill when you need to. Banana bread sounds so good to me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great links! That Badwater photo of the thermometer made me wince, and I'm not the one running! I've hiked in Death Valley and on Mount Whitney. I think that's as close as I'll come to Buckling at Badwater! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some nice links! Waterlogged sounds like a good read. I wish I had time for pinterest- a little scared to get into any more social media. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some of these fun things we do online can be fun, but time-consuming, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt