Good 20 Mile Run Today


Today's Run- 20 mile run. I spent the first 16 miles learning and running at the same time - I watched history documentaries while I was on the treadmill. Then I ran 4 miles outside. I was outside with only two more miles to go and I thought, "This is my day!" The usually warm water fountain had cool water, the rain was cooling me off and even though I had already run nearly 20 miles, I still felt good. I ate salted white rice before my run and raisins and pretzels at miles 6, 11 and 16. Miles 5-16: 9:01 ave. pace.

Recent Workouts-

Sunday- 10 mile inside/outside afternoon run (I usually run in the AM). On the treadmill I ran a warm-up mile and then 2 miles at 8:45 pace and 2 miles at 8:32 pace. Then I ran 5 miles outside - 95 degrees with only 44% humidity today rather than the usual morning 80 degrees with 90% humidity. I was able to average 10 minute miles outside today. The heat dried my mouth out completely, but I had water with me so this wasn't a problem. Otherwise, swallowing would have been painful.
Monday- 6 mile run and strength training. Ave. pace: 11:39 - humid morning run so I'm back to the slower pace.
Tuesday- 12 mile run with 7 on the treadmill. 5 of those miles were 1/4 miles of hills from 5-10% with 1/4 mile runs at 0% incline. I felt some pain at the 10% incline and then the pain came back when the run was done. Walking hurt.
Wednesday- First day off from running in a week and a half - a planned day off. My ankle is better.
Thursday- 6 mile run and strength training. No ankle pain! Thanks to the guy running with a heavy backpack, I felt 50 pounds lighter after I saw him. Ave. pace: 10:38.

Gu Brew vs. Nuun electrolyte tablets (Tri-berry flavor)- I sometimes use these tabs when I run in the heat. One day this week, I took a bottle of each brand with me. I like them both. GU tastes sweeter.

2007 Pike's Peak Marathon & Ascent Race - This video was fun to watch when I was doing hillwork.
Kim Dobson Broke Pike's Peak Record - Dobson recently broke the record by a huge 8.5 minutes!

Comments

  1. Great job on nailing your 20 miler!!! Amazing that you did 16 of it on the mill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great week of training. I have to do my long run on the treadmill tomorrow, only 14 miles but still. I do all my week night runs on the treadmill and find those rough so the 14 miler will be really tough...I'm going to channel your eneregy and enthusiasm though as you seem to tackle these long runs on the treadmill so well! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's SO hard to run in the humidty. i will always say that! my pace struggles on the more humid days here, that's for sure. so glad you can do all of this on a nice cozy treadmill! :)

    good to know the GU tri-berry is a little sweeter. i may give it a shot. i do like their grapefruit flavor but a change is always good.

    have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great running!!! 16 miles on the treadmill, that is amazing!!! I usually rink Gatorae on my runs.I might check gu brew and nuun out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pace and so glad to hear your ankle is better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you ankle is better. Great 20 miler and training week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great that your ankle is better and that your running is going so well. Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week