Hills on the Treadmill

Running Fuel: Texas-shaped Pretzels

Monday, I ran 12 miles. On the treadmill, I warmed up and ran 4 miles of "run a 1/4 mile up" and "run a 1/4 mile with zero incline". I ran at 3 to 6% incline, stayed at 5 or 6% and then worked my way back down. Running at 6% incline was hard, but it's easy compared to the hill workouts that I read about at iRunFar where you work up to 10%.

After running 7 miles on the treadmill, I ran 5 more miles outside, increasing the pace with each mile - running by perceived effort, it turned out to be a progression run. This run was powered by pretzels and raisins - less expensive than gels and raisins are good for you.

Tuesday (recovery day), I ran 3 miles on the treadmill before I headed outside to run 5 more miles. Sometimes it's hard to know how hard to push yourself, but I know I didn't overdo it the day before with the hills since I didn't have any sore places on Tuesday.

I've been running more on the treadmill lately because it's hot and humid outside. I'll run fewer miles than normal this week. I like to give myself an easier week every 4-6 weeks and once a week, I take a day off from running.

Comments

  1. I've never been a fan of gels, always have preferred 'real food' - I love this idea of pretzels and raisins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly eat during my runs, but if I do I prefer pretzl over gels or chomps. Great job with your training, using the treadmill is a great way to survive the heat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those pretzels are so cute!!
    i wish i liked raisins. i saw someone eating them on the last trail run i did. it's a bonus they have iron!
    i hear ya on the humidity - sometimes it just zaps everything out of me after a run.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt