10 Miler & Good Links

 

I ran a 10 mile progression run today. That made the run fun because I had multiple challenges as I went along, trying to speed up by 15 seconds per mile every 3 miles. I came pretty close to my goals. The cooler morning helped. I ate a Powerbar gel at mile 5 and 2 dates at mile 9. 

How Ritz Carbo Loads - "Last-minute dietary machinations can’t make up for poor training, but smart choices in the last 48 hours can help you get the most from your pre-marathon mileage." I might incorporate some of these ideas like drinking Gatorade days before the race. 

Three Heart-Rate Monitor Mistakes Everyone Makes - "As with any piece of equipment, there is a right way to use a heart rate monitor, and there are numerous possible mistakes you can make with it." I don't know all of the ins and outs of the HRM, but I wear mine to gauge my effort. 

Milk Fat Does a Body Good - “The fats in whole dairy foods are highly complex and may contain beneficial ingredients.” That's why I usually choose full-fat dairy. 

The Truth About Saturated Fats - "So saturated fat is not the evil you thought. But what does that mean for your diet? These eight must-dos cut through the confusion... Though some people are switching to coconut oil, there's no evidence that it's as beneficial as these oils are." And I finally bought my first coconut oil yesterday! 

Why More People are Going Nuts for Nuts - "They're an economical source of protein..." I eat nuts nearly every day. 

Image courtesy of lobster20/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net.

Comments

  1. I've never done a progression run. It sounds fun and challenging.
    Enjoyable little links :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links!

    BTW, have you ever used biofreeze before a marathon? wondering if that would help me or a least help distract? i've used it after, but never before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used biofreeze. I hope you cross that marathon finish line pain-free!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you, I don't know all the specifics regarding heart rate training, but I do wear mine and track my heart rate on my running log. It's interesting to look at how similar runs a few weeks apart can have sometimes dramatically different heart rates associated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt