20 Mile Holiday Run

Caribbean Ocean, Belize 
  • 20 miles at 9:57/mile pace, about a minute slower than marathon goal pace. Most of the run went well. My average at 15 miles was 9:45, but the last few miles were slow because...
  • My stomach hurt off and on from about mile 16. 
  • My dog ran with me towards the end. It was good to have a distraction. 
  • Sick! Unfortunately, after the run I vomited - that's a first. Nearly 70* when I finished - dehydrated? Maybe I should have had Gatorade in addition to my gels. No cramping though. Hmm... Dunno, except that I took 3 gels that I don't usually use. Update: I recently started taking an iron supplement and sometimes that causes vomiting and headaches, which I had.
  • I feel much better now. I think some peppermint ice cream might help, though! 
  • Merry Christmas to you and happy new year! Somebody decorated a Memorial Park bench for Christmas. How nice!
How much slower than marathon pace do you run easy-paced long runs?
I ran today's run a minute slower.
Do you plan to make a special Christmas dessert?
I'd like to make chocolate peppermint cookies or brownies.

Comments

  1. It seems like it will be ages before I can run 20 miles. Way to go!

    Pecan pie is in the oven right now! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to be sick on a training run than the marathon! Hope the rest of your training goes well.
    We're having pavlova with strawberries for dessert - I'll run it off tomorrow! Merry Christmas Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a terrific run except for the troubled tummy in the end. Bummer.
    I usually run 1 1/2 to 2 minutes slower than MP on training runs. I really milk those long, slow miles and try to make up for it when it's a speed work session.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That doesn't sound like fun. Way to go on the 20 though. I run my long runs much slower than my marathon race pace. Anywhere from 1 minute/km to over 2 minutes/km slower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree I hope the rest of your training goes well. I am new to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job getting that long run done, despite the stomach trouble. That sounds like a nice pace for long runs. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you got sick after the run, but great job on running 20 miles with a great pace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting sick is a bummer but I'm glad your run went well besides that. I think a minute slower is perfect, although I usually make the mistake of going too close to marathon pace. I've been making and effort to do my long runs slower. Good luck with the rest of your training!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could have been the iron pills for sure. One time I took those and I usually had a stomach ache. I did get sick over half way through a trail marathon back in Oct since it was surprisingly much warmer than it had been. That was rough. Did you try the Peppermint shake at Chick-fil-A? Total yumminess!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't treated myself to one of those peppermint shakes in ages, but, yum - I know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt