After the Marathon


After the Houston Marathon on 1/13/13, I was very sore. Once that was over, I caught a mild cold and a cough. This is common after a marathon, but it's a first for me. After 13 marathons, I can't complain! Here are some marathon recovery tips in case you just ran a marathon, too.

I haven't run since the marathon (recovering and resting!), but I'm excited to begin half marathon training for The Woodlands Half Marathon. March 2 is race day!

Hills & Shooting for a PR: Nick-Arciniaga RunnersConnect.net Video: To prepare for the Boston Marathon, run 6-8 mile or 1.5 mile repeats running downhill as hard as possible. Run an alternating 15-18 mile tempo run that is broken up by maybe a mile at 10K pace and a mile at goal marathon pace. Nick mentions taking Gatorade and water during races and sometimes Powerbar gels, too. (I'm not running Boston, but this video has tips for all runners.)

Photo: Taken from our hotel room in San Pedro, Belize on a recent vacation.

Comments

  1. Will definitely check out the video although I can't stand hill repeats. We have so many hills around where I live, any run I do longer than 3 miles incorporates hills. UGG!
    Great job on the marathon by the way. Heard it was brutal with the wind. A tough run but since you've done so many, you've probably seen every kind of weather situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had good hills outside like you do, but maybe if I did, I'd be telling a different story!

      Delete
  2. Always a good idea to rest after a marathon! Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the photo, makes me want to go on a vacation,even though we just came back from a weekend trip! :) I hope you are feeling better by now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you recover quickly Tina! You did great in the marathon and I enjoyed reading your report!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are getting some good recovery time! Sorry you are sick, though.
    Woodlands. I REALLY wanted to come and do that one. I just can't afford the travel, but you are the 3rd person I know doing it! It will be fun and fast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you won't be there. Maybe someday, though!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on Houston! And yes, please take some rest and recovery;)!!

    You're doing The Woodlands? I'm on the race committee and I'll be in the finish area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I'll look for you in the finish area!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you're resting up! I really wanted to do the Woodlands half, but it looks like we'll be traveling that week. I'm trying to pick another spring half that's not too far away...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every race is different...and some just take it out of you. Smart to just rest! Good luck in the Woodlands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous picture! Great tips for Boston, I just have to force myself to get out on those hills. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doing speed downhill is opposite to a lot of things I have heard in terms of staying healthy, so I might revisit that concept. I know I hit declines and inclines completely different in order to keep my joints comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope your recovery is going well and you are feeling much better. A study once showed that as many as 63% of the Comrades Marathon finishers end up with a cold or even flu. The training to finish the 89km (56miles) breaks your body down a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt