Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

In the past week, I have run 6, 12, 5, 7, and 16 mile runs. When I ran the 12 and 7 milers, I worked on speed - hard, but fun.

Yesterday, on my 16 miler, I averaged a 9:27/mi. pace. I ate Clif gels since they're handed out at the Houston Marathon that I'm running, but my stomach cramped up so I'll just bring my own gels. I ran through the cramps by telling myself that the other runners out there had even worse cramps than I did, but that they kept running anyway. Mind games! Fortunately, it only lasted about two miles.

I ran around and around the three mile loop at the nearby park about a million times (!) so I guess I'm mentally prepared for running a marathon where there will be no back-tracking over the same old, same old - except that I have run this marathon 7 times before. I don't run it because I love the course, but just because I live here. A lot of people like the flatness of the course (don't forget the bridges and underpasses), but it isn't Big Sur or Kona!

There are less than two weeks until the Houston marathon and I can't wait to see how it goes. Hopefully, the 2401 miles that I put into running in 2012 will lead to a decent marathon time. If not, I quit. Just kidding!

Since it's January 1, I need to mention goals, right?! Actually, I have a couple. I'd like to PR and to read through the Bible. I'm traveling through Exodus now.

Photo: walkway at the Belize hotel where we stayed recently

24 comments:

  1. Nice job on the running! Good luck meeting your goals at the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christy! I saw that we both entered the nycrunningmama.com contest for Powerbar goodies. I hope one of us wins!

      Delete
  2. Good luck for your taper Tina, and I hope you are full of energy on the big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'm sure that I'll be full of nervous energy that morning!!!

      Delete
  3. Happy new year, Tina! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! I so admire your distances and look forward to the day I can run so far regularly! I pray that you reach your goals in 2013, and best wishes on the Houston Marathon. I look forward to reading your report on the race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to find your blog and I like to see what you're up to in your posts!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the training is great. Curious? are 16 milers a favorite training distance? Have a fabulous new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a lot of 16 milers lately. If I PR in the upcoming marathon, 16 miles will be a favorite distance!

      Delete
  5. You are such an inspiration in your continual dedication and tenacity in your training. 16 mile runs might just be your secret training weapon! I have probably asked you this before but don't remember - have you tried the Honey Stinger chews? They are quite tasty, too. The chew-type fuel is a nice change from gels. Just read John Piper's "Where was God in all the goodness of 2012?" post-very good stuff! Are you using a guide of some sort as you read through the Bible this year? Warm wishes for you and Eric in 2013!!! And a marathon PR...... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Honey Stinger gels and I'll have to give those chews a try. I liked that post, too - a different take on the usual! I'm reading through the Bible using this list we're going through at church: http://www.capitolhillbaptist.org/we-equip/adults/core-seminars/old-testament. Warm wishes to you two, too!

      Delete
  6. Nice running except for the gel cramps! I use Cliff Blocks myself...can't do the gels. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to use GU gels, but I like Powerbar gels, too. During training, I like Clif bloks, too, but I like gels during races since I can eat them fast, like I'm trying to run!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, that had to have been a lot of loops!

    I just discovered honey stinger gels this week. They are SO good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Honey Stinger gel flavor I had tasted just like honey. Sweet!

      Delete
  8. 2401!!! Just awesome!! Way to go on that Tina. That in and of itself is a big thing accomplished!! Looking forward to hearing how your race goes. Can't believe it's a little less than 2 weeks away! Any other marathons planned for this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't have any marathons planned yet, but I'm already looking forward to the half marathon I'm running in March.

      Delete
  9. Nice mileage for the year! Great goals for 2013, I have the same ones. :). Hoping to read through the Bible with my husband and kids. Can't wait for your marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should check in with one another and see how we're doing on goals after a few months!

      Delete
  10. Good luck! You've had a great training cycle and I'm sure you will do awesome! Can't wait to hear all about it. Run fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! Looking forward to it!

      Delete
  11. Hello and Happy New Year Tina - I specifically came to your blog today to wish you good luck this weekend. I hope it's your BEST YET ! nice 2012 mileage - you are READY ! Strong Heart, Strong Mind !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, I hope so, too! Glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with Houston! I'm sure you will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 2400+ miles in 2012 is AMAZNG and you are more than ready for this marathon. GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...