Houston Marathon Tips


Memorial Park, Houston
The Houston Marathon takes place on 1/13/13, in less than a week! This will be the 8th time I've run the Houston Marathon.

Keep the speed! Drop the miles! This is taper week. I ran about 9 miles today with 6 miles at about 9:00/mile pace, a little slower than my goal marathon pace.

Know the race course! I lost a few seconds last year when I wavered at a fork in the road (mile 1.5). Turns out, we could go either way! Check the map for fluid stops. I nearly missed my planned stop at mile 5.5 because I didn't see the tables coming up. At first, it's crowded.

You will be treated like royalty! I love that there will be wonderful spectators and volunteers who will encourage you and yell out your name along the way - it's on your bib. Let me warn you, though, about the lady on the side of the road who will tell you that you are almost finished, even though you are only at mile 13. Her heart is in the right place. Just smile!

You can check out my 2012 Houston Marathon Recap and my other previous Houston Marathon race recaps for more info. If you're running the race, too, I wish you the best!

Comments

  1. Best of luck with your run!!! I agree, it is a wonderful race!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part about the race is that it's so close to home. I'll just have to restrain myself from quitting and walking home at the 20 mile mark. I live just a few blocks away from there!

      Delete
  2. Good luck this weekend, I'm sure you are going to do awesome! Your training has been great! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to go back and read through some of my posts to remind myself that I'm ready.

      Delete
  3. this makes me wish i was running it - so bad!!! can't wait for you! you're going to run great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a lot of fun if you could make it out this way for a run someday!

      Delete
  4. Awesome! It is nearly here! All the best and have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know what the weather or my finish time will be like, but the one thing I'm pretty sure about - it will be fun!

      Delete
  5. Good luck on Sunday! My son and I will be running the half marathon Sunday. Let me know if you'd like to meet up before the race at baggage drop off. www.dashingdiva.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you! I look forward to reading about the results. Keep us posted on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you the very best, Tina!! I know you have put in the work and the speed. Get ready to have a great race.
    Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the boost of confidence - something every runner could use during taper week!

      Delete
  8. Great tips! Hope you have a good race, rain and all. Maybe I'll see you out there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to run into each other, so to speak! ; )

      Delete
  9. Good luck Tina, hope the weather is kind and it all comes right for you on the day. Wish I was still running marathons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There may be some fun puddle jumping involved!

      Delete
  10. Good luck Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish that the race was tomorrow instead of in 2 days. Ready to go!

      Delete
  11. Hi Tina - just popping in to wish you all the best for the marathon! You've done the hard yards, and I hope everything goes your way on the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best wishes for a fun and successful marathon tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you a fantastic run tomorrow, great weather, and a fun day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you all the best tomorrow. Your training has been inspiring to me, I know you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck tomorrow!!! Sending you tons of speedy thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL... I am officially dumb :p
    I spent 10 minutes trying to find the results of this year's marathon, and I only just realized that it starts in two hours!!! Oh well... this means we'll be running at the same time as I will go out for my 20K right then :)
    Will track you online when I get back, good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, oh... Pressure, pressure! Just kidding! Have a great 20K!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt