11 Mile Run / 5 Links for Friday

My Backyard Gate: Where My Running Begins

I ran 11.4 miles today. I stayed at around 9:30 pace after the warm-up. My legs didn't have that tired, heavy feeling today (maybe because I only ran a total of 20 miles this week). That makes me more hopeful for The Woodlands Half Marathon that I'm running in two weeks.

Pre-run: oatmeal with a banana and toast with honey (filled me up so that I wasn't hungry)
During: Mint Chocolate GU gel (yum!) at mile 5
Post-run: Chocolate Milk

Race Training - 12 Mistakes (Even Experienced) Runners Make. This article is packed with helpful information like, "Don't leave your race in your workout." That's something I didn't want to do today so even though it might have been fun to try to run faster because it's more of a challenge, I kept it on the easy side. I want to be patient with my body after running the Houston Marathon only a month ago.

Is Your GPS Watch Accurate? Certified race courses are usually accurate, and are more accurate than your watch, so don't worry that you've gone too long or too short. I know I've done this. However, in Denver one year, the marathon was truly marked incorrectly. They decreased my time by about a minute.

Increasing Mileage to Avoid Injury - This article examines a variety of ways to increase mileage. Usually, I increase my miles for 3 weeks and then I take a break with a week of lesser mileage.

5 Myths About Ultra Marathons - Tips for pacing yourself, eating, and drinking during an ultra. Even if you don't run ultras, you might find it helpful.

Specificity: Trail vs. Road - For ultras, you could run one 20-28 mile run every two weeks and increase mileage for two weeks. Then, other workouts are 1-2 hours long and include speed and hills.

Comments

  1. Great links, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you're an ultrarunner, I know that you've got a lot of good ultrarunning tips already!

      Delete
  2. Great tips. I really like the 12 mistakes runners make. Glad your legs are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many tips in that one! I often adjust workouts on the fly, like he mentions, especially when it comes to adjusting for weather during the summer.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the great links! I'm glad your legs aren't feeling so heavy. Mine felt much better this week, too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I just needed to be more patient. Glad you feel better, too!

      Delete
  4. i printed these ALL so i can read them in bed tonight! they look fantastic! glad your legs are feeling lighter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just moved and your printer is already set up? I'm impressed!

      Delete
  5. i forgot to say - WOW!! your backyard view is AWESOME! a place to run that is lush and green already! it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the park is right out my back gate!

      Delete
  6. What a backyard! Looks like a park :)
    Thanks for the links. I am only now really starting to carefully look into ultra training. The mileage increases are no joke. I will be looking more closely at that one.
    Hope your half training is going well; I missed that post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd just call my half training "satisfactory" at this point. I am looking forward to the race, though. I know that it will be fun!

      Delete
  7. Great links! I also believe the reason why GPS watches are off is because runners are not always on the perfect shortest distance. Many times you add on a little distance due to getting "off-course".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Even stopping for drinks at the fluid station can add just a little to your mileage.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt