1/2 Marathon Race Dress Rehearsal


 After running the Houston Marathon on January 13, I've been taking it easy, mostly just trying to slowly get more miles in before the next race. My next race is The Woodlands Half Marathon on March 2. It's close to home and it's a new race for me. 

I drove part of the course this week. The flatness made me happy. I noticed that it looks like the scenery is pretty, but it may seem monotonous after miles of only tall trees on either side of the road. It's good to be prepared for things like that.

Before yesterday's run, I had a banana and some homemade banana bread. During the run, I ate a Clif Shot mocha gel (they'll hand it out at the race). I wore the shorts, top, and hat that I plan to race in. My stomach and clothes did well during my race dress rehearsal.


Yesterday I ran 10 miles at 9:34 pace with mile 9 at 8:40 pace. That 9th mile nearly did me in! For a PR, I'd need to get better than 1:50:57 (8:27 pace). I'm not counting on a PR, though. Yesterday I saw some old snake oil medicine bottles at an antique store. I wonder if they ever peddled anything that could make a runner faster!


We have out-of-town family visiting us this week and in addition to antiquing, we took them to Houston where we saw these big heads. It'll be hard to ever top this tourist destination! ; ) 

What's your favorite spot for taking your out-of-town guests (and your location)? 

Comments

  1. If you find some run fast snake oil let me know!

    Great dress rehearsal. I take out of towners to Yellowstone National Park, it is about a three hour drive from my house, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to visit Yellowstone National Park someday!

      Delete
  2. Have a great race. It is a "downhill" finish so you can get that PR! The weather is looking really good. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may sound strange, but as I looked at your last post, I am pretty sure we live about two miles from one another. If you are ever interested, I would love to run together sometime. Training solo for marathons can be drudgery sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great to run together. Now that you say that - I wonder if I've seen you at the park where I run!

      Delete
  4. Looking at your homemade banana bread is making me hungry!
    What a great idea to have a dress rehearsal for your race. I hope it goes well and you have a nice taper week.
    I like to take visitors up Mt Eden, which is a volcano in the middle of the city that has 360 degree views. It's a great to run up too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mt. Eden sounds like a great place! That tops the big heads in Houston, for sure!!!

      Delete
  5. Tell more about the big heads! People who come to Vermont like to go to Ben and Jerry's. I like to take them to the Burlington Bike Path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big heads are at an artist's studio next to a Target store. I was surprised to see them one day after a shopping trip!

      Delete
  6. Great trial run. Wishing you a fun and speedy race next weekend!

    Interesting big heads. I like to take people up our Tramway, it is the longest aerial tram in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tram sounds like fun! A special plus is that it would be fun for all ages and abilities.

      Delete
  7. A "dress rehearsal" race is such a great idea! I need to remember that the next time I try a new distance and/or new gear.

    Out of town visitors are so much fun! Those heads definitely are big. LOL Our out of town visitors are usually interested in the American Pickers store (about 30 min. away) or the Mississippi River (15 min. away). The John Deere World HQ is here too so there's a huge showrooom, museum, etc. Pretty exciting out here in Farm Land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was an American Pickers store. That sounds like fun!

      Delete
  8. Good luck this weekend with your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, it won't be as chilly as your last race!

      Delete
  9. how neat! that looks like a great place to visit next time we are in houston. fun place to take fun pics!

    there's your famous banana bread! that recipe hangs inside my cabinet door! your dress rehearsal went well and i'm excited for you that it's mostly flat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love eating banana bread! Love making it, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up