Friday, March 15, 2013

10 Mile Run and a Mint Smoothie

My Running Path
I love mint so today I made a mint smoothie. I blended 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup Dannon plain yogurt, 1 cup spinach and 1/8 tspn peppermint extract. This smoothie has 210 calories, 25 carbs, 17 protein, 8 fat and 3 grams fiber. What an easy way to get 1 1/2 servings of fruit and vegetables! Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe?

This week was a recovery week for me. Just like Olympian Pfitzinger says, I think it's a good idea to decrease the miles every few weeks. So instead of a longer run, I ran 10 miles today.

After 7 miles, I ate a couple of spoonfuls of honey and then I ran 3 more miles. Except for the time I made a homemade sports drink with honey, the honey was a first for me and I liked it.

Today I was running along, staring at the ground when I looked up and noticed the trees and the sky peeking through them. I just had to stop to take a picture!


10 comments:

  1. Ah! Everyone and their green smoothies! I would love to have a McDonald's Shamrock Shake, but I am so against McDonald's that I haven't bought anything from them in nearly 3 years!

    I'm also too lazy to buy the stuff to make one! Ha.

    Your running path looks awesome. I particularly like trails myself. Better view. Easier on your body too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the benefits of a recovery week every few weeks! My program has two hard weeks and on recovery every third week. It seems to work :)

    Not much of a smoothie eater so no recipe to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey is a great idea for a mid-run snack. I may have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on a recovery week too. I'm a big fan of doing that - recovery for the mind and the body - good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your 10 mile run.
    We have a vita mix machine and make various fruit smothies from dark cherry, blueberry, pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pic...looks like a nice place to run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to come out and run with you, that running path looks so pretty. My "long" run was also 10 miles this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are enjoying the recovery week!! Honey makes a great replacement for calories for me- always goes down easy :))

    Your running path is gorgeous! I would so love to join you on it.

    My smoothies are very similar to yours, but i have never tried with peppermint! That would be good for a shamrock smoothie :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, mint smoothie sounds so good. I was just thinking about how I need to build in a recovery week... it's harder for me to see the need for it when I'm not running long runs over 10, but I know my body still needs a cut back week every 3-4 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also a big fan of mint here, so I love any recipe where I can get that refreshing flavor without a ton of sugar as well. It's almost always paired with chocolate- Glad you managed to successfully, and deliciously, separate the two for once. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...