16 Mile Run: 5 Great Things
Something I like to do on long runs is to break them down into shorter chunks. I broke the run down into four parts and I ate something every four miles. Today's fuel had a raspberry theme and it was my first run in which I tried a PB&J sandwich. Thankfully, I had lots of water (PB is sticky and bread is dry) so that worked out fine.
Jenny Hadfield wrote an interesting article, What is Cardiac Creep?, about the many things that slow you down on a run like weather, nutrition or stress. Her point was that you should run by effort and not get wrapped up in the numbers too much. I like to keep track of my pace, but I don't want to stress about it.
5 Great Things About My Run:
- Strangers who unexpectedly said something cheerful to me and made me laugh, like the runner who said she was glad I stopped (to look at a duck!) because she needed a walk break!
- Seeing great blue herons beside the lake and pretty wood ducks in the creek.
- Spotting new spring blooms. Hello little field of red paint brushes!
- Clifbar raspberry gel tastes like jam.
- Having a smoothie waiting for me when I finished.
- Pre-run: cereal (low fiber) with milk, banana, Gatorade (about 400 calories, 85 carbs)
- During run: Gatorade & 8 mini pretzels (24 carbs), 1/2 peanut butter & raspberry jam sandwich on white bread (28 carbs), Clifbar raspberry gel (24 carbs)
- Immediately post-run: Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie (my Good Food! Pinterest page): 1/2 Tb. peanut butter, 1/2 banana, 5 oz. milk