16 Mile Run: 5 Great Things

At the two mile mark, I was sure I could run 16 miles. Watch out for those confident thoughts! You never know what will happen. By the 14th mile, I really didn't know if I could finish because it was warm and humid here in Texas today. I did run 16 miles, though, so it couldn't have been too hard!

Something I like to do on long runs is to break them down into shorter chunks. I broke the run down into four parts and I ate something every four miles. Today's fuel had a raspberry theme and it was my first run in which I tried a PB&J sandwich. Thankfully, I had lots of water (PB is sticky and bread is dry) so that worked out fine.

Jenny Hadfield wrote an interesting article, What is Cardiac Creep?, about the many things that slow you down on a run like weather, nutrition or stress. Her point was that you should run by effort and not get wrapped up in the numbers too much. I like to keep track of my pace, but I don't want to stress about it.

5 Great Things About My Run: 

  • Strangers who unexpectedly said something cheerful to me and made me laugh, like the runner who said she was glad I stopped (to look at a duck!) because she needed a walk break! 
  • Seeing great blue herons beside the lake and pretty wood ducks in the creek.
  • Spotting new spring blooms. Hello little field of red paint brushes
  • Clifbar raspberry gel tastes like jam.
  • Having a smoothie waiting for me when I finished.

Fuel


  • Pre-run: cereal (low fiber) with milk, banana, Gatorade (about 400 calories, 85 carbs)
  • During run: Gatorade & 8 mini pretzels (24 carbs), 1/2 peanut butter & raspberry jam sandwich on white bread (28 carbs), Clifbar raspberry gel (24 carbs)
  • Immediately post-run: Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie (my Good Food! Pinterest page): 1/2 Tb. peanut butter, 1/2 banana, 5 oz. milk



Comments

  1. Humidity kills me in runs! It gets really bad in MD in the summer. But kudos to you for getting through it and hitting that 16th mile!!!

    Do you typically eat that much on a distance run? I usually grab something small (a few almonds or a granola bar). I haven't yet figured out how much I should be eating on my long runs. I only just started doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Actually, every 5 miles (or more) is more typical for me. I want to be sure to get all of the carbs I need when I'm doing a long run.

      Delete
  2. It's so odd for me to think about people running in heat and humidity already when we are still battling cold here! I can't imagine running in the heat almost year round. I'm glad you got your 16 miler in! That's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was thinking about all of the people running where it was cold and wishing I was one of them, but it's nice to wear shorts while other people still have to run in layers of clothes.

      Delete
    2. The grass is always greener on the other side right? ;)

      Delete
  3. i LOVE this and needed to read it! "not get wrapped up in the numbers too much. I like to keep track of my pace, but I don't want to stress about it." YES!!! I'm struggling to let go of time and just ENJOY the run. i have not been able to train like last year at all. A LOT going on as you know. so instead, i'm trying to remind myself to just get out and go and enjoy. i'm making the time for running but they're not always quality runs as before. building back up now and it just feels so much harder!

    i'm jealous it's warm and humid there. i'm STILL layering up here. it's getting OLD!! i just want to sweat - it just feels so good and cleansing and i just really enjoy heat training. sick, i know! ha!

    good job tina! you are my running model! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving takes a lot out of you! Don't feel bad about not training as much as you did before. Running will be there when you have the time!

      It's been almost two months since I moved and I still can't find my favorite red umbrella. I'm forced to go with the boring black one!

      Delete
  4. I cant wait for warmer temps-but not too warm! =) My sweet spot is between 50 and 60 =) I like to break my run into chunks too. My girls LOVE for me to take pictures during my run so looking around for things to take pictures of makes the time go by a little quicker =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those temps sound good to me, too. I like taking pictures when I run, too. I just wish the cardinals would hold still long enough for me to get a good picture!

      Delete
  5. No problems with heat here just yet...winter doesn't seem to realize its overstayed its welcome! :)

    How do you carry all that on your runs? ...it seems like it would take up a lot of pocket space. It definitely seems to do the job though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran home for the Gatorade & pretzels. While I was at home, I put my 1/2 sandwich and my gel in my pockets. I was afraid that the sandwich would bother me in my pocket, but it didn't. My other option would be to stick some of the food in my SPIbelt or to wear my Nathan fuel belt. Great question!

      Delete
  6. Great job on your 16! Yes, it was so humid... my body is not ready for that yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Warm and humid is the worst weather for a run. Good job on the 16 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the same thought as Ann about how you carry all that food. The area you moved sounds so nice and its great you can run home for a quick pit stop. I'm loving the warmer temps lately, although it does make running harder I tend to like it a tad warmer than most. Great job on the 16!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did 16 miles this weekend too, but thankfully it was not hot and humid here in Albuquerque. I do not do well in that kind of weather. I love the PB&J idea. I may have to try that and your smoothie sounded delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, 16 miles in warm and humid can be rough. Way to tough it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job, Tina! Always inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on a perfect run!! Your training is going really well :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wood ducks are so gorgeous! And you found some nice wildflowers too. Sounds like a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you find joy in the small things (five great things about your run) - they often make my runs great too :) . Great run!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week