Wednesday, March 27, 2013

New: Gloves, Chews & Audio Books


This week I did a couple of new things while training for my May marathon.
  • I watched a show about ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes. The show made me want to go for a run even though I had already run that day. 
  • While running, I listened to an audio book. I downloaded the free Librivox app for free books. It worked great except for the buffering trouble I had one day. Karnazes' wrote about listening to audio books with a couple of suggestions at Long Running Favorite. Have any suggestions for ear buds with volume control? 
  • On my last long run, it was warm, but today was cool. I wore my new Asics mitten gloves. They have a pocket to hold the mittens when you want to only wear the gloves that I put some tissue into for my nose. They gloves are a little bulky with the pocket, but they're practical. I bought them at the Houston Marathon Expo for $10. 
  • Today I ate some new fruity tasting Cytomax Energy Drops (chews) that I bought at Academy Sports for $1.50 each (two servings/packet) that I liked. I experimented with taking in a little more fuel than usual - 4 fuel stops/servings instead of 3.
Today I listened to 8 chapters of Jane Eyre while I ran 17 miles. It's nice to do two things at once!




25 comments:

  1. I find Dean Karnazes so motivating. I've read two of his books, both before my last two marathons.
    As for the mitten-gloves, I have a pair but diff. brand. They are my favorites for 30 deg. and higher weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read his books, but I think it would be a great idea to read his books before running a marathon for that extra push!

      Delete
  2. I've never tried an audio book on a long run...sounds like a good idea though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly far along in Jane Eyre now: ch.28 out of 38. I'm glad I finally did it.

      Delete
  3. oh i love listening to audiobooks while I run, particularly ones about running make me want to just keep going forever. Unbroken was a great one to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Hillenbrand's Unbroken! There were some inspiring parts in it about running.

      Delete
  4. I like the new gloves! I've thought about listening to audio books while I run since I love reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to read, too. I hope I'll be able to find plenty of good, free books.

      Delete
  5. I listen to podcasts while I run, but I should try an audio book. I can see how those would be perfect for long runs especially!! I haven't read Jane Eyre somehow...I need to!

    I run w/ mitten/gloves in the winter and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Podcasts would be great, too! Maybe I'll try that someday, too. I do listen to some podcasts while I iron now. Am I the only one who still irons?! Maybe!

      Delete
  6. I've wondered about listening to audio books on long runs! Thanks for the affirmation. :)
    If you hear about great earbuds PLEASE share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of earbud trouble! Still looking...

      Stephanie, would you post your blog address if you have one? I couldn't get to it by clicking on your name, but I'd like to visit your blog.

      Delete
  7. How fun!

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I take a TON of tissue on my runs, especially in the winter! I've never thoguht to listen to audio books on my runs! Right now, its just music, or if I forget to charge it, then nature =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through phases: music, nature and now books.

      My nose is runny in winter and then spring and fall, too (pollen)!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the audio book tip. I'm going to try that out. I love Dean Karnazes, he is so motivating. Great job with 17 miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, running 17 seems short compared to Dean, though! It's all relative!

      Delete
  10. interesting! i never thought to listen to audio books during a run.. thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i recall ryan hall doing a commercial for an audiobook brand! it was cute! love those gloves- very cool to have a pocket! i've been using my buff as a tissue every run now. the pollen is stacking up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Ryan Hall commercial is one of the things that made me think, "I want to do that!"

      Delete
  12. I definitely need to try that... :)
    Amazing job on the 17 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing wrong with doing 2 runs a day if you really feel like it ;-) . Almost never listen to anything on my long runs. Really should start tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 runs a day - I was wondering if anyone would mention that!

      Delete
  14. I definitely need to try hitting up more audio books during runs. Great book choice too!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...