The Woodlands Half Marathon Report


Post-race with my Training Buddy
I loved today's Woodlands race! It was a small race held in Texas. I've run in both small and big races. I like them both.

Results: So excited to see this on my Garmin at the finish: 1:59:54 with a 9:07/mi average. My goal was about 2 hours and I thought sub 2 would be very nice. The finisher's chip times aren't up yet. Update: Chip time is 2:00:34; 464/1453 female. I'm glad I got so close to 2:00.

Course: Mostly flat, some hills, quiet, peaceful, some concrete streets.

Weather/Clothes: 43 degrees at 6am, race start: 7am. Beautiful day! I didn't wear shorts as planned, but I was happy with hand warmers, arm sleeves, shirt and pants (see photo).

Pace Group: I finished very close to the 2:00 pacer.

Volunteers: Volunteers are the best - encouraging! They needed more volunteers at most of the fluid stops, though.

Spectators: Not many at this small race. I'm thankful for the encouraging cheers and the high-fives.

Expo: Small. For more info: The Woodlands Half Marathon/Marathon Expo Post.

Fuel Pre-run: white rice, banana, citrus Nuun

Fuel During Race: Gatorade@Mi.3 & 6, Citrus Clif gel @Mi.8 (if cold, tastes like key lime/lemon meringue pie!), Water at Mi.9

Post-marathon Food: If I wanted to stand in a long line, I could have had: Chick-fil-A chicken sandwiches (really wanted one!), egg burritos and bananas. Instead, I went where there wasn't a line and got some Honey Core Power. I was glad they were there - you need to eat or drink after a hard workout. At home, I ate a banana. We went to Lupe Tortilla for a tex-mex lunch and I wore my finisher's shirt. At the restaurant, I saw other half marathoners wearing their medals. By the way, Happy Texas Independence Day!

Parking: I felt a little lost when I left for the race (at 6:10), but I was glad that a race person gave me good instructions at the expo: I-45 to Woodlands Parkway and follow the signs. Parking turned out fine and I  found my car after the race. I met a runner who couldn't find hers - so many trees and few landmarks in the area. 
Great Finisher's Shirt & Medal!

To Improve: Long lines! I talked with a couple of other runners while waiting in a long line for my finisher's shirt and they said the line was terrible for packet pick-up for them, too. The computers went out yesterday, but the pick-up lines were bad last year, too, they said. Personal improvement: I want to get some speedwork in before the next race. This time around, I was just building up my mileage after running the Houston Marathon 7 weeks ago in 4:00:29.

What Went Well: My Asics finisher's shirt fits me! I like Saturday races, real restrooms at the start/finish, and encouraging signs on the route. I wore my Denver Marathon shirt and that started a conversation with another runner. Just before the finish, we ran through a long chute where a runner was screaming, "1:57!" That encouraged me to run as fast as I could, hoping for sub 2.

Just Soar! I saw "Isaiah 40:31" on a runner's shirt. I tried to remember the verse and then I shortened what I could remember just to "soar" and kept thinking about soaring down the road. The funny part is that while I was running in the race, I couldn't remember the line about running! But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

Comments

  1. Great race! And coming in under your goal time is awesome! That's one of my favorite verses, and a great verse for runners. It's awesome that you saw it mid race and it helped you along. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to remember the verse gave me something good to think about!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on a sub 2 hour half!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope the race chip time is sub 2!

      Delete
  3. One of my friends ran that race this morning, too! Here's to hoping I can next year!

    Awesome time...I'm not near that speedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you can run it next year, too! Now that you're getting that jogging stroller, it'll be easier to train for it.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3/02/2013

    Wish I could have run this. I ran 10 for Texas in the Woodlands a few years ago and loved it! Perfect running right now in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never run the 10 for Texas, but maybe this next time around.

      Delete
  5. As always, you had a wonderful day. And capped off with a photo-op with your loyal training pal! Glad you came SO close to your sub-2:00 dream. Next time you will get it - as long as you don't have a marathon in your legs from several weeks before! That verse is one of my faves. It is one that gives us wings!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That marathon, 7 weeks ago, is my handy excuse! ; )

      Delete
  6. I love Isaiah 40:31! Congratulations on a great race. I love Saturday races, too. The citrus gel sounds yummy, I'll have to look for that. Enjoy your much deserved day of rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the citrus Clif gel at the expo and liked the fact that it was very citrus-like, but since it was cold outside at the race, the gel was cold and less soft. It was so much more like pie and even better!

      Delete
  7. Congrats! I am glad you had such a great experience. I love seeing happy runner's faces after a great race. I agree that it was very crowded and there were lots less people on the course cheering this year. That was kind of a bummer. I hope you are having a great recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One nice perk of running a half over a full marathon is that I'm not nearly as sore as I am after marathons. I'm hoping I can get right back into training soon.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your half marathon.
    My goal is to run my next half in 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great goal! I hope your training goes well!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on a great 1/2 marathon! The photo is great, looks like a nice day for a race. The half is such a great distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clear, blue skies and tall pines along the road for the whole route! Beautiful day for a race!

      Delete
  10. Excellent! Congratulations on a fun and well done race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Half marathon #4 was a fun one!

      Delete
  11. So excited for you- you ran an awesome race!! Hope the final chip is sub-2!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just over 2, but pretty close! Thx!

      Delete
  12. Very nice!! I'd be absolutely thrilled with that time. Sounds like they had yummy food but bummer about the lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I found a coupon for free Chick-fil-A chicken sandwiches at the race expo. : )

      Delete
  13. Great job on the race! I like your picture with your training buddy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up