20 Mile Run


I ran 20 miles in the humidity. The humidity really slowed me down, but running in the heat should prepare me for my next marathon in May: The Bob Potts Marathon in PennsylvaniaThe Bob Potts Marathon will give runners who ran in the Boston Marathon, but were stopped before finishing, a free entry.

 I used 5 gels and GU Brew electrolyte tablets for the extra sodium to prevent cramps. I wore my Nathan hydration belt so that I wouldn't have to stop for water at the fountain very often. The belt felt heavy at first, but I got used to it and I carried less the more I ran. I didn't have any cramps today like I sometimes do after running in the heat.

I tried some new gels today, just out of curiosity: VFuel (previously ViFuel). I had three flavors: peach cobbler (the best tasting, very mild), vanilla (too sweet) and chocolate (not for me). The package is bigger than the GU gels. VFuel gel has a thinner consistency than GU gels and it costs more, but if you can't stomach other gels, you might like to try peach VFuel. You can order a sampler pack of three for $8. Save 20% with code: JCA20. 

I've started to write something about what happened in Boston for my blog, but I can't find the right words. The stories of people helping others have been comforting. Most of all, I pray that God will bring healing and comfort.

Updates: Now praying for West, Texas, too. It's about 200 miles away from where I live.
OKC Memorial Marathon is also offering free entries for the April 28 race.

Comments

  1. Way to go on the 20 miles and that is so incredibly nice of the race director to do that for the Boston runners. How generous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It would be great if other race directors could do the same thing.

      Delete
  2. I LOATHE humidity. It's one of the main reasons I bought a treadmill this year. Last summer I had to deal with it. But I'm generally not good with heat, if you add humidity, I feel like I'm dying. I'd rather my running not suffer this summer. But kudos to you for pushing though it...for 20 miles at that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've read about runners who like running in the heat. I'm trying very hard to just "like it", but it's hard when you're wilting!

      Delete
  3. That is an impressive run on a day like today. It was crazy humid...just plain awful running weather today. Great job finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad there were little things to keep me distracted like the cardinals and a turtle crossing the path.

      Delete
  4. We're visiting family in the south right now (we lived in AL for 5 years) and I forgot just how hard running in the humid heat is!! Nice job on your run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you enjoy your vacation (even through the humidity)!

      Delete
  5. Great 20 miler! Haven't had to worry about any humidity up here yet that's for sure...still waiting for winter to go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wouldn't have minded a cold run yesterday, but at least it's easy to decide how to dress now - for the heat.

      Delete
  6. It is so hard to know what to say about Boston. But we all have so many thoughts. Good job on the 20 miler. Humidity yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good run. Humidity is bad. You feel about 5 lbs heavier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great job finishing that in humidity! I can't even imagine. I too found it really hard to write about Boston. It was such an emotional day. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, amazing!! I've never tried the ViFuel but I want to! Your line up there makes me thing I'm under fueling. On my 20 miler I did 1.5 packs of Gu (1/2 pack at mile 6, 11 and 16). Perhaps I should try to do it more often! I've heard people have trouble with whole gel pack at once so that's why I do half.
    I've been praying a lot for Boston too.... =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! I did take in a lot of fuel. I like to experiment with different amounts of food. If you've felt low on energy while running, you might try eating more to see if it helps. Everyone is different, though.

      Delete
  10. Just the idea of all that exercise in humidity is pretty impressive to me. I figure skate at a very cold rink and I am used to not even having to sweat when I work out!, when I am working hard I just get to take off my layers of fleece! I am sorry for you and all the runners out there to have the marathon experience, which should be so purely positive, tainted by this terrible crime. I hope that your upcoming marathon will be a good experience unencumbered by worry or sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Your Nathan holds twice the fluids as mine, but i bet that is handy where you live. I thought it would be impossible to get used to a fuel belt too, but it sure beats being dehydrated!

    I can understand your loss of words. I know God has a plan for good in all of this, and join you in prayers for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're so far from summer weather over here...you just reminded me of the other side of sunny humid summer days :) Good job fueling, I try and take a gel every 45 minutes...plus water and eload salt tablets.
    Boston has been in my thoughts a lot also...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Humidity is the worst. good luck on your next race

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week