Cherry Smoothie


Yesterday I ran 15 miles. Since I'm loosely following the Pfitzinger "12 week/55 miles maximum per week" plan (from the Advanced Marathoning book), I was supposed to run 12 marathon paced miles. My marathon goal is 4 hours or faster, a 9:09/mile pace. I started out okay, but then I slowed down. After I slowed down, I was able to get back on track to run the last mile at marathon pace. As it turns out, I only ran 7 miles at marathon pace, but I'm satisfied. Since the Bob Potts Marathon isn't until the end of May, there's still time to build up speed.

During the run, I had Gu gels, Gatorade and chewed a Gu Brew tablet (electrolytes: salt and sugar). I will never chew one of those tablets again. I did it because I didn't have a cup with me and I'm glad I was beside a water fountain so that I could wash it down. You're really supposed to dissolve the tablet. When I do, I like it. Lesson learned!

After the run, it was time for a cherry smoothie. I don't usually feel like solid food when I finish a hard or long run, but I can always drink something. Of course, smoothies are so easy to make that you don't need to follow a recipe, but maybe you like to see smoothie recipes for ideas like I do.


Cherry Smoothie with Milk

Blend together:
  • 1/2 cup frozen cherries
  • 1/2 frozen banana (I keep bananas quarters in freezer for smoothies)
  • 1/2 cup plain Dannon yogurt
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
Nutritional facts: 255 calories, 35 grams carbohydrates, 11 grams protein


Cherry Smoothie with Juice

Blend together:
  • 1/2 cup frozen cherries
  • 1/2 cup plain Dannon yogurt
  • 1/4 cup apple juice 
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
Nutritional facts: 171 calories, 20 grams carbohydrates, 8 grams protein


Around the Web

Have you heard about 61 year old Maria Shields? She ran her first 100-mile race at the 2012 Umstead 100, held in North Carolina, and finished in 22:52:06. Last Saturday, she PR'ed in 21:32:17. So inspiring! 
What to Wear in any Weather Tool from Runner's World
Stolen!  5 tons of Nutella 



Comments

  1. Sounds like another great run! Very cool about Maria Shields too, inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stories like hers are great to remember when a little voice tells me that I may be too old to run!

      Delete
  2. Well done on your 15 miler. Isn't Maria Shields amazing? I'd like to be still running at 61, not sure about 100 miles, but never say never!
    I really am going to have to buy a blender after seeing your mouthwatering cherry smoothie - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's amazing!

      Sometimes I use my immersion blender and make the smoothie right in the drinking cup.

      Delete
  3. Oh yum! That cheery smoothie sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like drinking something that's good for me and tastes good, too, after finishing a hard workout.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE cherries! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. These smoothies sound amazing! I LOVE cherries. Tart cherry juice is my latest obsession. Thanks for sharing the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've heard tart cherry juice relieves muscle inflammation!

      Delete
  6. Great job on the 15 miles. And 7 at marathon pace is great, 12 sounds so hard to me. The Hansons's plan I am following built up to 10 miles at marathon pace and I was finally able to do that outside last week. I guess it's just in time for my marathon! Thanks for the smoothie recipes, I need to remember to try some chia seeds in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great that you were able to complete your goal paced run right before your marathon! Thanks for sharing the info about the Hanson's plan. Maybe I'll be able to get up to 10!

      Delete
  7. Good job,
    I started running at the age of 48 and have now ran 6 marathons.
    It is nice to find another person who came to running late!
    Art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Art! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  8. The cherry smoothie looks so refreshing and perfect after a long/hot run. Like you, I have a hard time with solid food too soon after a hard effort. I also love the red You Are Special Plate. I had looked for one and kinda forgot about it. Now you have reminded me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun plate! Smoothies are great after a long run!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the recipes...I really need to make smoothies more often! I think that 7 miles at race pace is great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made an extra large one today (strawberry/banana) and only drank half of it. Now I can have one tomorrow without having to use the blender again. : )

      Delete
  10. Yuck! how did you manage to chock that tablet down?? I've never seen them but that sounds like an awful experience-you must have a stomach of lead! =)
    Great job on your run. That smoothie looks YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted terrible, but somehow I swallowed it. I wouldn't try that again, though!

      Delete
  11. Hey Tina, there's a shout out to you in my Rotterdam Marathon recap :)
    http://mammakeepsrunning.blogspot.nl/2013/04/rotterdam-marathon-2013-recap.html

    I made arm warmers from stockings and it worked out wonders, so thanks again for the tip!

    And thanks for the link to that "what to wear tool", I'll make sure to bookmark it. I'm getting better at picking the right clothes, but that sure helps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the arm warmers worked for you. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  12. Nice! I bought a bunch of pie cherries last fall and used them up in smoothies (and crumbles). I like how you have them combined with banana in the smoothie, the sweetness of the banana is a good counterbalance for a tart cherry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

50 Mile Race Coming Up

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week