Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Long Run in a New Skirt



I recently bought a new running skirt, the Skirt Sports Women's Adventure Girl Skirt, because it has 5 pockets. In the photo, you can see three of the back pockets that are large enough to carry my 4 3/4 x 2 3/8 inch phone and lots of gels. There are two additional pockets on the shorts that are underneath the skirt. Skirt length for the extra small is 14'' (front) and 15.5'' (back) with 5 inch inseam shorts that do not ride up. The fabric feels like a crepe fabric to me, kind of unexpected in a running skirt.

I've worn it a few times. The back of the waist band chafes so I have to wear something underneath and the skirt flares out a little too much, so there's good and there's bad. It was windy today and I liked the fact that I didn't have to worry when my skirt flew up since my shorts were nice and long. 
Today I ran 17 miles. It took me 2 3/4 hours. I only ate two GU gels (25 carbs each at miles 8 and 12), which is a low amount, but I like to experiment. I felt fine and was able to speed up a bit at the end. I've often heard that runners should take in 30-60 grams of carbohydrates per hour, which is closer to what I usually do. I found the GU gels for $8 for a package of 8 at my local Academy Sports.
I had cool temps to run in this morning. It was about 50 degrees the entire time, but with the wind it felt cooler. This was such a nice change. At first I needed gloves, but I ended up in just a tank top and skirt. Without the humidity, I felt like I was flying. 
I carried a water bottle to see if I'd like to carry one during my upcoming marathon at the end of May. I got used to it quickly. I may carry it since it may be warm at the race in Pennsylvania. It slowed me down a bit when I ate a gel while carrying my pepper-spray. I saw a runner who was a much better multitasker. While running, she was pushing a double stroller along a narrow dirt path while talking on her phone and was able to wave at me, too. I think that with a little planning, I can get speedier at opening a gel while holding a water bottle. Maybe I can even work in a wave at the same time.

Update: This skirt worked great for the marathon I ran in May (more photos in that post). 

13 comments:

  1. I love the skirt! I honestly do not care what I am wearing or how it looks as long as it has a tone of pockets! Chafing is a pain, though, so I am sorry to hear it chafes :( I don't mind water bottles on training runs, but not in races. I expect that the race will have adequate water for me, though twice in a row I ran in halves that were missing water between miles 8 and 12 on very hot days. So being prepared is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the last race I ran, runners were waiting for the water to be poured for them, during the race, so I'm a little gun-shy about trusting others for my water!

      Delete
  2. Nice run!!! I keep flirting w/ the idea of a running skirt. I may have to try one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If possible, trying one on first or buying from a place with free returns is the way to go. I couldn't find this exact skirt nearby, but at least I found some other types of Skirt Sports skirts to try on, in order to find out my size, at the local Luke's Locker running store.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to be able to run in skirts. Right now it's just a little too cold most mornings (28deg this morning).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brr... That is cold! I would have to put everything in my shirt/coat pockets or wear my Spibelt if I lived where you live.

      Delete
  4. CUTE! I love my running skirt!! Nice run! I'm impressed you only had 2 gels! lol.... good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great run! I tried on running skirts a couple of years ago but they didn't look/feel that great on me. Should try again. You need to post a photo modelling the skirt for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love running skirts. I have run my last 3 marathons in them. But I have yet to see one with so many pockets. That's awesome! Thanks for sharing what you are working on fuel-wise on your long runs. I'm still searching for what works for me, so it's helpful to hear your experience too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that these skirts have so many pockets! I like the idea of running skirts, but I have one SkirtSport skirt and it started chafing after just a few miles so I have never worn it again.
    So happy to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your skirt with all those pockets!! Amazing long run too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that the skirt has so many pockets. Good luck on your race in May.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...