Deer, Then Speed



I was running close to the place where I sometimes see deer and wishing I'd see one when I looked up to see a deer looking back at me! Soon, two more showed up. That was yesterday. Today I saw deer again while I was warming up for some speed work.  

This is taper time with about 3 weeks until my next marathon. Monday I ran 10 miles with 6 miles (that were supposed to be) at 10K pace. Yesterday I ran 5 easy miles. Today I ran 8 miles with 5 x 600m (that were supposed to be) at 5K pace. I'm not hitting the paces I want, but at least I'm picking up the pace. Besides, it's fun to throw in some hard running. I hope to get in a 16 miler and another easy run before the week is up.

That would bring this week's total miles to 45. In the two previous weeks, I ran 50 miles. The week before that, I ran 55 miles. I've been loosely following the "12 weeks/55 miles or less plan" in Advanced Marathoning (first edition). Although I don't always hit the planned paces, I've been able to get in all of my planned miles. Knowing that will give me some much needed confidence during the race.



Comments

  1. have you ever tried hill sprints while training for a marathon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have some little hills nearby, but I take advantage of them even when my workouts don't call for hills just for a little extra workout. Hillwork is great training!

      Delete
    2. yeah I have been throwing some in lately and notice I am getting much stronger and less injuries with all the extra miles I am running!!

      Delete
  2. How great to see deer on your run! Good luck with the rest of training...almost there...Enjoy the taper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing deer makes me feel a little like I live in the mountains. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Seeing deer or other animals is always great. You've had some awesome training. Enjoy the taper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, during taper it's nice to have time to do some other things. I gave my blog a new look with a new template yesterday.

      Delete
  4. Although speed sessions are tough, I think they go by so much quicker than long easy miles. Enjoy the taper period and good luck in the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. The time seems to fly by!

      Delete
  5. It looks like you have some great running routes at your new place!
    Best wishes for the rest of your taper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a pretty place to run certainly helps the miles to go by!

      Delete
  6. How fun to see the deer! I love (most) wildlife. Some, I can do without. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of doing without... That reminds me of the time I saw an alligator when I was running! Here's my post on that: http://gottarunnow.blogspot.com/search?q=alligator.

      Delete
  7. Nice training the past few weeks! I'm laughing because our training seems so similar, I loosely tried the Hansons Plan for Boston and now I am using the 6 week between marathon plan in the Advanced Marathoning book. It's very similar to the 12 week/55 mile plan. Too bad we don't live in the same city we could train together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we did, too! I hope our plans prepare us for a couple of good races!

      Delete
  8. catching up on your blog and all your GREAT running! you have had some great long runs and i'm excited to see how your next marathon is! it's so fun to see wildlife on runs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be doing a lot of long runs lately in preparation for your 50K. Can't wait to read about that!

      Delete
  9. Love to see deer on a run. It makes it fun when you remember your camera :)
    Sounds like your training is going well! Not too long until the next race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took this picture with my phone - never leave home without it!

      Less than 2 weeks to go!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt