Friday, May 3, 2013

Last 20 Mile Run Before the Marathon


Waterfall Where I Run

Weather: The weather was nice and cool today! It was 45-50 degrees with a cold wind. Because it was cool, it wasn't very hard to speed up as I ran. First mile split: 9:57. Last 1.6 mile average: 8:53. Average pace (for 18.6): 9:34. 

What I wore: Skirt Sports skirt, three shirts and gloves, Experia Thorlo socks and ASICS 2170. 

Before the run, I tried a Berry Powerbar Performance bar (tastes like pink taffy candy). I prefer the cookies and cream flavor I tried last week. If it isn't convenient to have something like an English muffin topped with honey before the marathon, at least I know that I can eat one of these bars. 

During the run, I had a Tri-berry Gu gel every 4 miles and water.

After the run, I sat on the back porch with my dog and ate Sally's Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars. I added raisins, toasted walnuts and coconut. These bars are low in sugar. The only fat in them is from the peanut butter and they taste good!

Math on the run: My watch is set to stop if I slow way down. However, I stopped twice to take off my over shirts and each time I did, I manually stopped my watch and forgot to restart it, which meant I had to retrace my steps and do some fancy math in my head to figure out my total mileage. When I finished the run, my watch said I ran 18.6 miles, but if .6 times 2 plus .2 equals 1.4 and 1.4 from 20 is really 18.6, then I ran 20 miles. (That's a lot of math to do towards the end of a 20 miler!) In preparation for the marathon I'm running in about 3 weeks, my longest runs have been two 17's, an 18 and two 20 milers.

Today's Favorites:
Hearing the flapping wings of the great blue heron fly overhead.
The walker who asked, in a hopeful way, if I was almost done.
Feeling like I could run farther when I finished.



11 comments:

  1. WOOT!! Great job on your final 20 .. and finishing strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your last big training run - it must be a relief to get to this stage free of injury and feeling you could go further!
    I bought some Experia socks the other day and they are so nice and cushy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to hear those wings! Awesome. Good job on your run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm cracking up at your "fancy math". I've done that before and I get SO mad at myself!! Why does it only happen on long runs? Glad you got your last long run in! I think the training is the worst part--the race is cake, right? Or is it icing? Whichever. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the last 20 miler before your race! I did a 20 miler today for an upcoming marathon and had some fuzzy math going on too. I mis-calculated and ended back at my car at 18 miles and had to run around the area to get 2 more miles in! I have no idea how that happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Finding out you're not really done yet when you thought you were is not fun!

      Delete
  6. I love that waterfall. What a pretty place to run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job! I would be helpless if I tried do any math on a long run. OK, let's face it, I'd be helpless if I tried to do any math even NOT on a long run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo, sounds like a great 20 miler!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you post your details! Those are the kinds of things I like reading about :) Great views, lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback - always interesting to find out what other runners like in a blog post!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...