Friday, June 14, 2013

11+ Warm Miles


97% humidity at the start of my run and about 80 degrees during the run! One thing that pushes me to run the miles is knowing that I have a fall marathon coming up- the St. George Marathon. Inspiring stories help, too, like the post about Sabrina Little who set a new American record of 152 miles in a 24 hour race recently. I can't imagine doing that! Posts that tell me that the heat makes me stronger help, too.

Unfortunately, no matter how willing I am to run through uncomfortable temperatures, the heat sometimes wins. I cut my run short when the walk breaks were taking over my morning run! I ran 11.35 miles today. I saw a rabbit, a baby turtle, ran through the woods where I got a good look at a deer and stopped to take a picture of some ducklings at the lake.

When it's hot, it's a good time for crock-pot meals so I recently made Balsamic Chicken. I found that this is a good dish to serve with brown rice or a baked potato.

Pre-run: English muffin topped with peanut butter and raisins, ice water
During: Gatorade, orange slices, chocolate mint GU (I didn't plan on eating the GU unless I really needed something else, so there you go!)
Post-run: 1/2 Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie and Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bar (39 g. carbohydrates/10 protein total) Both taste great!


7 comments:

  1. Heat is tough. Although it is not humid here, it is still pretty hard with the intense sun beating down on me. My little hand-held water bottle is getting pretty obsolete for runs longer than 6 miles when I realize I need a lot more water. It is crazy isn't it how it takes us time to adjust? Yay for marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The summer heat is sucking the life out of me. It's not humid where I live, but we've been having 95-100 deg days. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running in the heat is tough so kudos to you for fighting through it. I am already getting nervous about the heat so that means 5:00 am runs for me this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you're tough for doing that! The heat + humidity kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think that heat is Runner's Kryptonite! At least it is to me. I can run through pouring rain, and on slippery slopes, but when it comes to humidity and heat I succumb...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is some serious humidity and heat. I don't know how you do it! Think how strong you will be come St. George and cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your 11 miles + in that heat! Phew! I start my marathon training in two weeks and just know I'll have to plan to be out there very early on long run days :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...