12 Miles, Etc.



Razz Clif Shot Gel - Since the St. George Marathon I'm running this fall is offering Gatorade and Clif Shot gels on the course, during today's 12 mile run I drank Gatorade and I had a Razz Clif Shot gel. The gel was like raspberry jam, but with a thinner consistency. It tastes good to me, but it's on the sweet side. I used the same fuel when I ran The Woodlands Half Marathon. Normally, I use GU or Powerbar gels during marathons, but it would be nice to be handed my fuel during the marathon. Have you tried Clif Shot gels?

Salads - Tonight is salad/pizza night. So that I don't go overboard on the pizza eating, I like to make a good side salad. Some of my favorites toppings are avocados, beets and peas. Rather than use a salad dressing, sometimes I top my salads with cottage cheese. Do you like any unique and healthy salad toppings? Yesterday, I topped mine with bulgar and quinoa.

Vacation Running
- I took the photo of the U.S. Capitol while on a run on my first ever Washington DC vacation a few weeks ago. When my husband and I are on vacation, I like to get out for an early run. He likes to sleep in and I like to find places that we'd like to visit later in the day.

Comments

  1. I stick with my GU in the flavors that I like so I end up carrying them with me during my races. I like to eat my salads without dressing. If I have enough goodies in them I feel like I don't need it. I love to put tons of avocado in my salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may go back to GU or Powerbar gels rather than experiment. I'm kind of torn on that!

      Delete
  2. I haven't had to use those shot bloks yet, but it's coming. I'm keeping track of all the flavors my favorite bloggers like so I can zero in on some that might be good.

    I love cashews in my salads. Also, beets, avoicado, eggs... pretty much anything that can be chopped up with spinach or lettuce. I do like salad dressing, though. I don't use a ton, but I am a condiment lover.

    I have started bringing my running gear for anything longer than 3 days. Usually, for long weekends, we have so much to do and get started so early that I don't have time, but longer than that, I'm on it! Love how you scope out the sites to visit while hubby sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to keep track! Since you brought up the Clif Shot Bloks chews... I used the Margarita flavor in my last marathon because they have extra sodium that might prevent cramping. No cramps for me!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous picture of the Capitol! I also like to run early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the photo! I like to look around for what might make a good photo when I run.

      Delete
  4. I love running on vacation to explore new places! Yay! I have tried and found any sort of gel acceptable, but I much prefer chews to the point that I take them with me rather than eat what the race gives me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had too much trouble with gels either. I think you and I are some of the fortunate few. : )

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful picture!!! I like a good balance of sleeping in but also of morning runs during my vacation. The best way to explore a city is to run it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You're right, you can see so much more running than you can driving through the streets!

      Delete
  6. I like to run with my husband if on vacation because I'm a bit too nervous to venture off on my own in unfamiliar places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! I've been fortunate on recent vacations and have been able to run where there are other people around. For instance, in DC there were lots of other runners at the National Mall in the morning.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt