Monday, June 10, 2013

8 Miles with Easy Hills

Deer Tracks!

I've begun training for the St.George Marathon - less than 17 weeks to go! Today I ran 8 miles and included hills and strides.

The Short Hill in the Woods - 6 times up the hill. There was practically a trail traffic jam at the top of my first hill. Just as my dog, Zoe, and I made it to the top, a deer ran across the trail. I've seen a few deer since we moved to the area in January, but I'm still in awe of them. Seeing the deer running put a little giddy-yup in my dog's step!

10 X .10 - Next, I ran Zoe back home, grabbed my water bottle, ate some orange slices (tasted great!) and headed back out to finish my run. After each stride, I let myself walk a few steps - it's humid. This was a much better run than Friday's when I ran 10 miles and had to sit on a bench to rest. Today was a good run day with hills, strides and a deer!

Do you have a hill workout you'd like to share? Here's an interview with a runner trained by Brad Hudson who incorporates hills into her training several times a week. I think that's a good idea!


18 comments:

  1. Yay-I am just about to start training for my October marathon, too. Walking is necessary in the hot humidity and think how refreshing the fall air will be to run it! I am so excited for fall marathon season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear we'll both be training for a fall marathon! I look forward to following your training!

      Delete
  2. Great start to training! Mine starts today (18 weeks) as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great - the more of us, the better!

      Delete
  3. Trails, hills, deer and Zoe = a really well-rounded run! Glad to hear you are having a good kick-off to your St. George training. Remember that hills will only make you stronger!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder! I'm sure I'll need it when I'm powering up those hills in the near future!

      Delete
  4. We don't really have hills here. However, there are some ridiculous bridges that my friends want me to start running. I'm terrified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridges are a great substitute, especially if you have friends to cheer you on!

      Delete
  5. Nice run! I hate hills (haha) but love when I see deer on my runs. I am in awe of how beautiful and graceful they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw another deer on my run today! Now hoping for three deer in three days in a row!

      Delete
  6. I'd like to see a trail traffic jam!

    Hills are great- as long as I remember to use good form and not to do them everyday :)

    Congrats on being running blogger of the week again!!

    Enjoy your St. George training. Looks like it's going to be a little different than the Hanson plan this time.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the Houston marathon in January, I tried Hansons. For the Bob Potts Marathon in May, I tried the Advanced Marathoning 18/55. I like using that book for ideas.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes! I forgot you had another race in between them... So many races :)

      Delete
    3. I'm surprised you remembered my Hansons training. It's hard enough just to remember which races people are running! (That's one reason I like seeing a reminder in the sidebar.)

      Delete
  7. We live in a rolling hill area so I've never felt the need for risk of injury to incorporate that type of workout. BUT... in training for the marathons last fall, I did include some short hill sessions, lasting about 1 minute up, jog down. Then for Boston, about the same but a steeper incline. I only do two or three hill workouts per training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your workouts for hills, especially what you did for Boston!

      Delete
  8. I don't think there's anything easy about 8 miles and hills! I haven't done a true hill workout, but when I run trails, that's almost all up or down hill so I count that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd count that, too! Have fun on the trails!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...