Saturday, June 1, 2013

Philly: Food & History


After finishing my 14th marathon in York, PA, I did a lot of walking that afternoon at Valley Forge and in Philadelphia. My legs felt okay when I walked around on race day, but for a couple of days after the race, I was sore - DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)!

My husband and I stayed near Independence Hall for a couple of days before flying back home to Texas. In Philly, we ate at City Tavern where they dress in period costume. We had turkey pot pie and sweet potato bread, which they say was John Adams' favorite. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods. I microwave them, peel them and sprinkle cinnamon on top.


Taking a detour from my usual healthy turkey sandwiches, we split a couple of cheese steak sandwiches from Geno's and Pat's, two rivaling cheese steak shops right across the street from each other. The sandwiches were nearly the same, but Pat's gives you more meat. It's good to have that figured out!

Independence Hall

We visited the Betsy Ross House, the Liberty Bell, Christ Church and Independence Hall, where the tour guides gave informative talks, making Independence Hall our favorite part of our Philly trip.



Then we found a fun old-fashioned ice cream shop, Franklin Fountain, and shared a banana split. That was my second ice cream during our history/marathon trip, but I was still getting in some healthy foods, too, like salads, fruit and the Kind bars, peanut butter and oatmeal that I brought along.

The Betsy Ross House
On Memorial Day, we watched fireworks from our hotel room and the next day, we ate at Reading Terminal Market. It's full of restaurants and there was a National Treasure movie scene there. We should have watched that movie before the trip for ideas on where to go. I'm sorry that we missed going into the National Archives in DC, for instance, but we did see the outside of it while riding our bikes.

Inside the Betsy Ross House
I'm home now and back to mostly healthy eating (I use Myfitnesspal.com), doing some strength training exercises and even running a little, too. Yesterday my dog and I went for a walk and we ran the last 1/4 mile. I hope to add in some more easy running this next week.

7 comments:

  1. Independence Hall looks so awesome. It's somewhere I'd like to visit someday! Oddly enough I've been to Philly & didn't go. Glad you had a fun (and yummy) trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Phil. I would love to sometime. Where do you race next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about all your adventures in PA. It makes me miss home more than usual. Glad you are feeling good and getting in some activity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you were able to get a marathon in while on vacation. I am going to have to do that one day. It it time for me to get back to running and eating better for me too. It was fun while it lasted. When is your next race? I have a 10K next Saturday but no big plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my next post will be all about my next race. :)

      Delete
  5. Tina, I have been using My Fitness Pal for several weeks. I am trying to find you there to "friend," but I don't have your email address. Mine is katysammons at gmail dot com, if you want to meet up there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent you a friend request from MFP. See you there!

      Delete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...