Nathan Quickdraw Plus Water Bottle


Since selling my treadmill when I moved in January, I've done all of my running outside. When it started warming up outside, I bought two Nathan Quickdraw Plus bottles.

They came in handy during a recent race. I started the marathon with one and then my husband handed me a second one later. 

Notes about the Nathan bottle:

  • The 22 ounce bottle is a good size for me. 
  • The drinking spout is about a "medium" on how easy it is to open with my teeth. To close it completely, sometimes I close it with my hand so that it won't leak - not a big deal, but that could be improved. 
  • I like the clear bottle. 
  • The pocket can carry gels and my phone (5 1/4 x 2 3/4 x 3/8"). 
  • I like the small hole at the top of the holder that I can poke my thumb through.
  • I fill the bottle 3/4 full and put it in the freezer the night before a run. 
  • I bought the bottles at a local Finish Line for $10 each.  

Two other types of water bottles I've used: 
  • BCG bottle - from Academy (only in the store). It holds 16 ounces, making it good for shorter runs. There's a small pocket for gels. The bottle has bumps on the sides that make it a little uncomfortable to hold. 
  • Amphipod bottle - has a broken holder/pocket that won't stay on. That's why I ended up buying the Nathan bottle, which cost about half as much as the Amphipod. 

What I read this week on hydration: 
Dehydration and Performance (drink to thirst), 5 Biggest Sports Drinks Mistakes (sports drinks aren't needed when you're not training), Electrolytes 101 (lists foods with sodium), Sports Drinks You Should Be DrinkingPerfectly Natural Fuel (includes drink recipes I want to try) 

How do you drink on the run? Do you have a favorite bottle or drink? Lately, I use water, Gatorade, GU tablets or Nuun. 

Comments

  1. Obviously you are a fan of handhelds, but do you ever have trouble when you are trying to fuel (open packages,etc)? I've always worried a handheld might limit my already clumsy ability to get things open. I'm a huge nuun fan and I've been running with my hydration pack a lot this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last marathon was the first race that I did while carrying a handheld bottle for the whole race and I pulled gels out of my pockets and opened them without any problems. Like you, I wasn't sure I could manage it, but I tried it during my runs leading up to the marathon and found out that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

      Delete
  2. I use an ampiphod, but it leaks :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the market for a bottle and a lot of people recommend this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help! I noticed that a lot of ultra runners use one, too.

      Delete
  4. I have that exact handheld and I love it but in longer races I wear a fuel belt to keep my hands free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have a 40 oz. Nathan fuel belt that I like to wear. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the links!
    My most-used water bottle is a small (250ml) Nike hand-held. I use it running around town and refill it at drinking fountains along the way. I don't really like carrying things when I run, but this little bottle is barely there! I'd like to try a hydration pack for longer runs and off-road - one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be easy to carry a small bottle like that and really handy when you can stop to refill it. Feeling like it's barely there is a good thing!

      Delete
  6. I have just started using nuun and I like it. I am looking for a new handheld as I have been using one more lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I have the Nuun lemonade flavor and that's good. I'd like to try the watermelon.

      Delete
  7. I've never tried nuun, but I'm intrigued. I usually use a water belt and fill 3 of them with water and one with gatorade. Then, for fuel I use Gu, Honey Stingers, or Cliff shots. I can't run and chew!!
    Thanks for the links to the hydration information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're handing out Clif gels at the St.George Marathon that I'm training for so I want to try those out on my long runs. I prefer not to run and chew, too - too much work compared to eating a gel!

      Delete
  8. I love my handhelds. I had a nathan for years, it actually finally just broke, so I'm using a camelbak handheld now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me especially glad that I have two of these!

      Delete
  9. I'm looking for an on the long run hydration product now. I love my current belt but the 2 small bottles aren't enough. My husband is an avid handheld runner!

    BTW, you're the winner of the Kretschmer Wheat Germ giveaway at Fitness, Health and Happiness. Email your mailing address to jillconyers@gmail.com and your prize will be on its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran out of wheat germ and I was hoping I'd win! Whenever I sign up for a giveaway, I'm afraid I won't know that I won. Thank you for letting me know both here on my blog and through Twitter! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  10. I need something a strap. I just don't like carrying a water bottle and having to hold onto it super tight because I don't want to lose it. Not sure if I'd use the pockets though since I have a Spibelt and a flip belt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have mentioned this in my post... There's a strap that I can tighten so I don't have to hold tightly to the bottle. I like Spibelts, too, but I haven't tried a flip belt yet.

      Delete
  11. I hace the exact same hand held. I'm able to roll it up my hand to use bith hands to open gels. My only complaint is duribg ultra when you need to refill it is a little difficult to get the cap off. I did see one cap with a thumb hole that would fix the priblem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I haven't seen that cap. Sounds good!

      Delete
  12. Looks like a cool little drink bottle! I've never tried anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's handy if I don't feel like wearing a fuel belt and need to have a drink with me.

      Delete
  13. I love the Nathan brand, it's so well thought out! I have their hydration vest and LOVE it! I'm not good with hand helds, but I have a hydration belt and for even longer runner the vest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up