Monday, July 22, 2013

Park Workout & 20 Mile Run

Encouraged by a bicyclist who stopped to exercise on the exercise equipment at the park where I run, I decided that someday I'd stop and exercise there, too.

Since then, I've stopped a number of times towards the end of my recovery runs. I still like to get in some strength training workouts in my air-conditioned house, but it's a nice change to stop off at the park equipment.

I found some ideas for exercising at the park at Beginner Easy Bar Body Weight WO Video and at The Little Honey Bee's Playground Circuit.

A few days ago, I ran 20 miles. Something that was different about that long run, besides the fact that I saw a group of five deer, is that I didn't eat on the run and I only drank water. I brought a gel, just in case, but I didn't need it. Since I was hungry before I ran, I did eat first, though - peanut butter and jam on bread, which makes this not a true fasted run, I suppose.

I'm working up to that for a long run, though. I might not always do fasted runs, but it's interesting to experiment with them. And how did it feel? Fine! Well - you know, except for the humidity!

I ran 12 miles today and towards the end, I was happy to stop to get a picture of one of the three armadillos that I saw. They were busy nosing around in the leaves and completely ignored me and I didn't mind stopping for a breather!


23 comments:

  1. I suppose you see armadillos all the time, but they would really surprise me! Fun picture.

    I have been working on fasting runs first thing in the morning, of course my longest run has only been 8.5 miles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't see one in a while so it was fun to see them. I've never seen three at once before!

      Delete
  2. Fun! There is a park near me that has some exercise equipment but I have never stopped. Maybe someday I will and get more of a workout than just running. Good work on the 20 miles. I remember training a couple years ago and hardly ever going for gels or anything until so many people called me crazy. I take water a lot during my runs and in this heat, that is all I really tend to need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing - always interesting to see what other runners have done!

      Delete
  3. Can't imagine seeing an armadillo. One of the things I love about reading blogs from all over are the differences in our runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I like, too!

      Delete
  4. I started to get more and more digestive issues on my long runs, so I cut my food intake in half. Meanwhile I only drink water and Gatorade and feel fine. The less food I take the better I feel, I think my GI tract completly just down on long runs. If it is really hot or humid, I will take some salt pills or pretzls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had much trouble eating on the run, but that's a really good reason to cut back on the food. I'm glad you found something that helped!

      Delete
  5. We don't have armadillos here in SA so I really enjoyed that photo, thanks! You are doing some excellent runs and your training seems to be going very well. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we don't have wild zebras like you do!

      Delete
  6. Your runs sound exciting! Great photos and nice running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really like seeing the wild animals. Wishing for zebras, though!

      Delete
  7. I've never stopped during a run to do strength training. I think it would break up my rhythm too much. Jealous that you get to see wild things on your run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel, but now that I've done it, I look forward to doing something different on my recovery run.

      Delete
  8. Well done on your 20 miles!
    I run through a few parks with exercise equipment, but I've never thought to stop - next time I'll have a closer inspection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to get in an arm workout sometime during my run - gives my legs a break!

      Delete
  9. I love running without fueling! That's great you made it through 20 miles without food. I have played around with this and prefer to run without fuel, just water. But then I get confused of what to do in a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known there were other runners running without fuel. That gives me more confidence to try it out again on a long run!

      Delete
  10. It's funny how, sometimes a long run like 20 equates to a zillion gels/gu's/etc. THen others, notsomuch. I love when I don't need much of that. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's kind of another test of endurance and it's fun to experiment!

      Delete
  11. Great run with no fuel. I find it so much easier not to fuel when it is cool. When it is humid, I get sick if I don't have something about every 8 miles or so. Crazy weather....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I wasn't sure I could do it in the heat, but it worked out fine. And I brought some food with me, just in case!

      Delete
  12. Great run especially without a gel.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...