Running by Effort in a 5 Pocket Skirt


I ran on a couple of trails that are right out my back door this weekend. The deer hang out by the trails. I saw at least two!

My husband ran with me and took pictures. On the right, I'm wearing my Skirt Sports Adventure Girl Skirt with lots of pockets - 5 of them! In my last marathon, it held my phone (5 1/4 x 2 3/4 x 3/8"), 6 Gu gels and 1 package of Clif Bloks. (Here's my previous post about my skirt.)

Because it's hot, I'm focusing more on effort instead of trying to hit a target pace. Today I ran 9 miles. After 2 warm-up miles with my Weimaraner, I took her home and got my running drink: 1 part orange juice and 2 parts water. It tasted good - my first time to try that.

Back outside, I sped up for 4 miles. The first mile was an experiment: how much can I push myself knowing I want to put out some harder effort for 4 full miles? When I saw the faster pace that I could run for one mile, I tried to keep that pace for 3 more miles. Except for one slower mile, I succeeded. I finished with 3 easy-effort miles. For more info: Coach Caleb: How to Deal with Heat and Humidity.

Comments

  1. Look at that moving pic! I did a double take! haha!! It's so hard to push in the heat and humidity but aren't the rewards worth it!?! I am going to try your OJ mix! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the picture, my husband used multi-shot function with his camera. Then Google+ put the photos together in a motion shot. I tried to put it in my sidebar, too, but it only came out as a photo there.

      Delete
  2. Great idea on the motion shot and the run! Pushing in the summer pays off in the fall (at least that's what I am telling myself all summer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reminding myself of that, too - on every run that isn't a recovery run!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a fantastic place to be able to run! Love the little video :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sold my treadmill when I moved (in January) and even though it's been hot out this summer, I love running outside. If I get a chance to run through the woods, it's even better!

      Delete
  4. Good run. I love lots of pockets in shorts, skorts, and shirts when running longer races. Anything to avoid a running belt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like pockets so much that I have even sewn some into my shorts! Here's my post on that: http://gottarunnow.blogspot.com/2010/09/add-pockets-to-shorts.html

      Delete
  5. Love the pic and the skirt! I keep wondering if I might like to try a skirt....

    Been pretty hot/humid here too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One reason I like skirts when it's humid is that the skirt fabric doesn't cling to my legs since the skirt has shorts beneath the skirt. Most of my shorts cling to me on humid days. Not the best look!

      Delete
  6. Skirts are the BEST! Especially with pockets. I also like shirts that have a pocket or two. We runners love to carry stuff!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like shirts with pockets, too. I only have one running shirt with a pocket, but I have biking shorts with them. They need to put more of them in running shirts!

      Delete
  7. That moving pic is pretty cool. And pockets........love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool moving pic! At first I thought the post was about running in a 5-pocket SHIRT, which I thought was pretty strange. LOL Makes more sense now that I know it's a skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Running in the heat is tough, I think running on the trails in the woods, is the best solution. It's amazing the difference some shade can make!

    Runner's World voted the Weimaraner as the best dog to run with, did you know that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I did see that about Weimaraners. My dog is a great running buddy!

      Delete
  10. Yay for finding some shade to run in in the heat. And pockets are awesome. I will refuse to buy shorts, capris, a skirt, etc. if I do not think there are enough pockets. I carry a lot with me on the run, I guess?

    That moving pic is definitely cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on maintaining your effort. It's so hard to not get woo'd by numbers and ignore how our bodies are really feeling. What a convenient skirt. Very useful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up