Saturday, August 17, 2013

Biking, Salted Caramel & More



Biking

In addition to running 53 miles this week, I rode my bike three times. It's a lot of fun and I think it will make me a better runner since it works muscles that are complementary to running. For more on that, read this article: Which Kinds Of Cross-Training Are Best For Runners? At the top of my mind is running my best at the St. George Marathon in 7 weeks.

Push-ups 

I've been doing more push-ups lately, as in 20 of them throughout the day with a goal of 5 sets total. Sheri Piers, 20th woman overall at Boston this year, inspired me. Sheri does 6 sets of 25 each day.

Heart Rate 

Jack Daniels says that it's a good idea to keep track of your individual heart rate, which changes according to weather and other factors. I wore my heart rate monitor during my long run this week. Watching it kept my mind occupied in those last slow miles, especially since I didn't have music to keep me occupied.

Caffeine  

Since caffeine may help muscles recover after a hard workout, I added mocha Nescafe coffee to my chocolate milk. 

I tried the caffeinated Salted Caramel Gu gel this week. It tastes just like its name, like a caramel candy with salt. I liked it, but even better tasting to me was the Clifbar caffeinated mocha gel I had during my long run of 18 miles. I also used the Clifbar Razz, which tastes like raspberry jam and has no caffeine. I couldn't tell a difference during the run between using gels with or without caffeine - not that I expected that, though.

Best Online Videos I Used this Week



10 comments:

  1. What? There is a salted caramel gu? And I do not know about this? This is terrible. Must run to REI to pick this up now. Thanks for the hint! I love anything salted caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love a bike - maybe one day!
    Re: push-ups - I am terrible at those! We had to do 10 at Pilates last week and I managed about six. Something to work on!
    Hope your training is going well - not long to go now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought some of the Salted Caramel GU to try today. I am planning on using it on my next long run! You are doing awesome with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great mileage even without the cycling, etc! And I'm with Amy Z....how do I not know about caramel gu? That's a travesty!!!!

    Sorry, I saw "Jack Daniels" and immediately thought .....well, you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The salted caramel gu is a good one. Awesome job on the pushups. I need to work more on upper body strength.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, 6 sets of 25 pushups? I can't even do one. That is my goal--do ONE non-girl push-up (yes I'm a wimp).

    I need to start fueling for long runs I think, so I will have to try out new Gu flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm dying to try that salted caramel gu but haven't seen it yet. I didn't use to like gu but now I tolerate it just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had the energy to bike after running. I've been looking at spin bikes and toying with the idea.
    As for that Gu, I love caramel but during a run? It sounds sweet. It would be fun to try though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic week of training!! I'm not a Gu/gel person myself but caramel sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for the push ups. I have no upper body strength. I need to start to do push ups.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...