Pre-run Eating & Recipes


This week, I started eating before I run more often than I have been in the last few weeks.The first day I ate before my morning run (cereal and 1/2 banana), I noticed that I didn't have the usual heavy legs in my first or second mile. After having the same thing happen many times, I think that eating first makes me feel better. I've been enjoying my small pre-run breakfasts and my morning runs without heavy legs!

Food I Ate This Week

I have a Pinterest board for recipes that I want to try in the future. I have almost 100 recipes on my Pinterest "Recipes to Try" board. After I try a recipe that I like, I put it on one of my other boards like "Cookies" or "Salads & Vegetables". Here are some foods that I enjoyed this week. You could eat them for breakfast or any time you like!

Single Serving Microwave Granola - Good when you'd like a small amount of granola in a hurry.

Spiced Pumpkin & Oats
Frozen Banana Dessert - I added pumpkin pie spices and walnuts to frozen bananas. That was good, but then I added cocoa powder and peanut butter to bananas and that was really good!

Spiced Pumpkin & Oats

I wanted to use up the small amount of pumpkin I had left so I stirred together: 1/4 cup each canned pumpkin and oats and a little bit of pumpkin pie spices, raisins, pecans, orange juice and maple syrup. The orange flavor with the pumpkin tastes surprisingly good.

After making that, I saw this: Pumpkin Bread in a Bowl. That sounds good, too, so I pinned it. It looks like I'll never whittle away all of the recipes on my "Recipes to Try" Board!



Comments

  1. I am an early morning runner so I normally don't have time for food, but my legs feel heavy those first couple of miles. I might have to try eating something. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I hope it makes a difference for you!

      Delete
  2. Although we've been running our long runs earlier lately, due to the heat, I always eat half a bagel with almond butter and half a banana, with a small coffee, before heading out! I doubt I'd do well on an empty stomach :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina,
    That spiced pumpkin oats recipe sounds fantastic!
    I was just reading that it is important to run before your largest meal of the day. I try and run first thing in the morning so I don't usually worry about it but the small meals you have added to your routine sound perfect for a pre-run fuel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring on the pumpkin recipes, I can't wait for Fall now that I'm thinking about pumpkin! Those recipes look like great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm that recipe looks delish (with the coco powder and PB added!!) :)

    i love the pic of your indian blanket flower. my aunt in houston gave me some seeds from hers and i planted them at my former house. i forgot to take some seeds with me. i miss them! they are just so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Beth! Pumpkin recipes = fall and I am so excited for fall to get here (cooler runs!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. All 2 recipes sound yummy! Off to check them out. I love your to-try and then move to a different board idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the recipe!
    I seem to run better on a less full stomach so I won't eat much at all before a normal week day run. Even on my long runs, I keep it to a minimum. For races, I make sure to eat a bit more 3 hours before the race. I hate experimenting with food when I run since I'm so afraid of what might happen if my stomach doesn't like the change ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find I do best with a small snack, too. I used to always run on an empty stomach until I got pregnant, and then I felt like I HAD to eat something. I've never been able to go back!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt