Almost Marathon Time!



I'm getting packed to go to Utah for the St. George Marathon (October 5). Since I haven't trained as much as I would have liked (leg trouble!), I'm even more uncertain about the race than usual. Whatever happens, I know I'll have fun. That's because I've been to Utah before and I know it's a beautiful state.

Recently, I conducted a marathon breakfast test before one of my runs. I liked what I ate and my run went well.

  • I got the idea for eating fruit in a pouch from the Powerbar pouches. Baby Food by Another Name compares those pouches and baby food pouches, which are cheaper. You can find fruit pouches made for all ages. They would be a good travel snack, especially when it's hard to find fresh fruit.
  • Peanut butter pouches are great for taking on trips, too. 
  • Banana bread is a favorite of mine and I'll bring some on our trip. I like this Cooking Light recipe that uses yogurt, but I change it by using 2 cups bananas and cutting the sugar down to 2/3 cup. 


Taper time drives some people crazy. I get a little nervous when I get close to race day, but I'm glad to have a little extra time.

With only a few days left until race day, I can't wait to be standing at the marathon start line - even with the butterflies in my stomach. As soon as I cross the finish line, I'll check the immediate race results on the new St. George Marathon App. I can't wait!

Comments

  1. I've been thinking about trying fruit in a pouch. Any flavors better than others? Good luck on race day! I am sure you will do great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far, this is the only fruit pouch I've ever eaten. I'd rather eat a piece of fruit, but the apple/banana flavor worked for me.

      Delete
  2. Excited for you! I won some of those Power Bar fruit pouches at a race. Pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great, I've never thought of trying the fruit pouches but buy them for my daughters all of the time. I think I'll try that! Good luck on your race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea about the fruit pouch. I'm excited to hear how your race goes and I hope your leg doesn't give you any problems. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOHOO!! You have such a great attitude of knowing you'll have fun. I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, I'm a fan of tapering. Sometimes I think "Hmmmm, I could get used to this!" Good luck at the race. Say hello as you go flying by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am catching up - it's been awhile! Life has me swamped! I miss reading your blog! I'm so excited to hear how your 15th MARATHON goes! That is just awesome! I hope and pray your leg trouble is not an issue. Enjoy beautiful Utah and run free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S., Any chance you will get to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon while you are there? Spectacular and remote, well worth the drive.

      Delete
    2. I wish we could, but we visited the Grand Canyon in December 2011 and have decided to go to some new places this time. Someday we'll go back to the Grand Canyon. I'd love to get to the North Rim when we do!

      http://gottarunnow.blogspot.com/2011/12/grand-canyon.html

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you have been very smart in the way you've babied your leg along. I hope it's good for you on race day. I'd love to be in Utah about now, I hope you enjoy the scenery and the beginning of the fall colors and have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck on a great race. The course looks beautiful. Be sure to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a great marathon yesterday and finished strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was thinking about your leg yesterday... do you think it has anything to do with a pinched nerve in your back? one time i had some pain in my left leg and realized it was from a pinched nerve near my sciatic nerve. it was awful. felt like my leg would collapse. i hope you're doing ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! I'll look into this if the problem comes back.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It will go up as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

50 Mile Race Coming Up