Easy Running, Easy Tuna Casserole


I'm training for the St. George Marathon, in Utah on October 5, but my left leg has felt off for the last three weeks so I'm running a lot less than I'd like to in order to let it heal. Hopefully, I'll be crossing my 15th marathon finish line very soon.

Monday - 6 mile run. I felt a minor pain in my leg at 3.5 miles so I took 1-2 minute walk breaks every 5 minutes. 

Tuesday - I walked my dog (included a 0.5 mile run). Strength training. (I'm still doing 100 push-ups divided into 5 sets throughout the day on most days.) Biked 30 minutes. Saw an armadillo, rabbits and a bright red Cardinal.

Wednesday - 5 mile run with 2 minute walk breaks every 0.5 mile starting at 3.5 miles. Strength training.

Thursday - 3.5 mile run with walk breaks. Strength training on the park fitness equipment. 

At the beginning of my run, I saw a mother and baby deer. Then I saw a bald eagle! 

Friday - No running. Maybe my unwell leg needs a day off from all exercise. Well, except for my daily 100 push-ups. Doing 20 at a time once seemed impossible for me at first. You only need to start with one or two and then you can build from there. 

Saturday - Strength training3 mile run with walking warm-up and a couple of walk breaks. I'll rest tomorrow and then, hopefully, next week I'll be able to more miles than I did this week.

Total running miles - 18

Only 4 weeks until the St. George Marathon! 




Stove-top Tuna Casserole


This week, I created a quick and easy tuna casserole recipe. I added yogurt for a creamy sauce.

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2-3

Ingredients:
3/4 cup noodles (I used garden rotini)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup milk (optional: substitute another 1/4 cup broth for the milk)
2 tablespoons plain yogurt (I used non-fat)
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 oz. canned tuna, drained
1/2 cup vegetables (I used corn, peas, diced celery and cooked carrots) 
Parmesan cheese 
  1. Boil 3/4 cup noodles according to directions on package. Drain.
  2. In saute pan, melt butter over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  3. Gradually add chicken broth and milk; cook over medium heat until mixture is thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
  4. Stir in salt and pasta.
  5. Stir in tuna and vegetables to warm.
  6. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.

Comments

  1. Oh no! Hope the leg feels better. What do you think it is? I am impressed with your dedication to staying healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew, but maybe it's from running too many miles.

      Delete
  2. Hope that leg is feeling 100% soon! I am glad that you are still able to run so hopefully it is nothing too serious going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your leg, but glad you were able to get some miles in. You have a strong base with the great training you have done all summer, you will be alright still for St. George.

    I'm going to try out your tuna casserole recipe, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are making the right decision to rest and take it easy a bit even though I am sure it can be frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tuna casserole is one of my favorite foods ever. Unfortunately my husband hates it. I need to save this recipe for when he's out of town.

    I'm very impressed with your pushups!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing the smart thing: giving yourself a break to feel 100%. It won't hurt since you still have some weeks left and besides, after 15 marathons, you know you've got the endurance. :)
    Tuna casserole sounds so good. I made a spur of the moment tuna loaf tonight but it was the cucumber sauce that went with it that was the hit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, dear. I never like hearing about a leg problem. Want to crowd source the problem, so we can all give you lots to panic over? :)

    I've just started a push-up/planking routine. It's humbling at first, but as you reminded me: Just start small! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read your blog! It's great :) And, good luck on your marathon. Ps, LOVE your recipes :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt