3 Favorite Fitness Apps


Do you have any favorite fitness apps? Here are three apps that make it easier for me to eat right, to exercise and to keep track of my workouts.

  • Map My Run (MMR): Lately, I've been using this app to keep track of my running, riding and even walking my dog. I found some "challenges" in which I am entered for prizes depending on the kinds of workouts I do. For instance, I'm doing one where I could win some dog food for Zoe just for taking her for a run or a walk. On November 1, they're starting a new challenge in which you could win a $100 Amazon gift certificate for logging 30 minutes of daily exercise.

  • My Fitness Pal (MFP): This is great for keeping track of my calories, carbohydrates, protein, etc. You can use the phone app to scan UPC codes from items you're eating to make it really easy to input your food.

  • Nike Training Club (NTC): Having this app on my phone makes it easy to do a workout anywhere. There are a number of workouts to choose from and it's easy to pick one according to the time you have to work out and the body parts you want to work on. 

Today I used the MFP app to see that I ate 45 carbs before my run. After feeling a little sluggish during yesterday's 3 mile run, I decided to eat before running today. That was my first run since the St. George Marathon about three weeks ago. I was really happy to be running again, but I wanted to feel even better. Today, I felt better.

Next, I used the NTC app for a 15 minute abs burning workout before my three mile run with my dog. 

While I was running, I used the MMR app. I wore my Garmin Forerunner 610 in order to compare them. The Garmin showed me running 1 mile for each .93 mile on the MMR. For me, that's close enough and I like having two choices for keeping track of my pace and distance. Since I always have my phone with me, being able to track my miles from my phone could come in handy.

Comments

  1. I always note that I am faster when I track my runs on my phone vs. my Garmin, though I have never brought the two together on a run, but that is a good idea. Nice the MMR has prizes. I could log 30 min/day easily with all the dog walking I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good app suggestions. I always find it interesting how they compare to a garmin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Map My Run and My Fitness Pal! I need to try out that Nike one. It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the MMR app on my phone but don't use it as much as I probably could, but I use the regular website on my laptop all the time. It's a great site! I'll have to check out the other two as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend was just talking about MyFitnessPal at dinner last night! It sounds like a great app. I've tried Map My Run and that's fun too. I'll check out the Nike one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these! I'm always the last one to download new apps, for some reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use Map My Run when my Garmin watch is dead, but it usually measures off from my watch which I find annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MFP is my lifesaver. It really holds me accountable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I'll post your comment as soon as I return from my run!

Popular posts from this blog

Run Fast. Eat Slow & My 15 Miler

Running: My 60 Mile Week

45 Mile Week with New Running Belt