Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Durango Highlights



On my recent vacation, besides running the St. George Marathon on October 5, my husband and I did some sight seeing. Our stop in Durango, Colorado, was a highlight of our trip. On our first day there, we were amazed by the fall colors: golden, orange and red. We liked walking through historic downtown Durango where we ate delicious Fired Up Pizza.

The next day, we drove to Vallecito Trail, which is close to town. That's where we began our 4-5 hour hike only four days after I ran the marathon. I was a little sore, but it was probably good for me to stretch my legs. The river was a beautiful blue-green and the views were wonderful. We crossed a creek while balancing on a log. My marathon legs were a little wobbly, but I didn't fall in!



After 3 1/2 miles of hiking, we stopped at a turn around point to eat the sandwiches, nuts and fruit we picked up at a grocery store. You can't beat having lunch while sitting on boulders overlooking a rushing river!

The next day, it snowed! The snow on the pine trees in the mountains was beautiful. We found the Colorado Trail where we might take a very long hike someday. Then we ate fruit pastries and hot cocoa at a French restaurant in downtown Durango while it snowed outside.


In running news, I'm not running yet because I want to give my body a chance to recover. Today I did some strength training and rode my bike the farthest I've ridden since the marathon: 8 1/4 miles. Then I took my dog, Zoe, for a walk. While I was out, someone asked about the breed of my dog - she's a Weimaraner like the dogs in the funny Wegman Weimaraner photos. Strength, riding and walking made up my hour of exercise today - a good workout!


7 comments:

  1. Durango is SO lovely! Glad you had such a wonderful week. Nothing tastes better than a packed lunch in the middle of a hike, especially next to a river!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the snowy picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful place! Rest is good and it makes us feels refreshed about our running. I have been trying to take it easy too and putting zero pressure on myself right now. It feels good to take a break :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos! Glad you had such a good time. Enjoy the time your are giving your body to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pics, Tina!!
    I have no idea how you hike for 3.5 hours that soon after a race- wow. Now I need to go read your race report for St. George!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scenery around Durango looks beautiful with all those autumn tints. It's the same here at the moment. No snow yet but I've dug out the Yaktrax ready for it.
    Enjoy your rest....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you were able to have some fun too! GORGEOUS pics!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! I'll post your comment when I get back from my run so please don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...